G PREP 1

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

G PREP 1

by prachi18oct » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:54 am

I used below approach:-
Total favorable outcomes = 4-> RWWW,WRWW,WWRW,WWWR where W and R stand for Wrong address and Right address envelope.
Total outcomes = 4!
Probability of only one correct = 4/24 = 1/6 ?
This is not even in the options.I have been banging my head for hours but dont understand how my logic is flawed. Experts please help!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:16 am
prachi18oct wrote: I used below approach:-
Total favorable outcomes = 4-> RWWW,WRWW,WWRW,WWWR where W and R stand for Wrong address and Right address envelope.
Total outcomes = 4!
Probability of only one correct = 4/24 = 1/6 ?
This is not even in the options.I have been banging my head for hours but dont understand how my logic is flawed. Experts please help!
The portion in red undercounts the number of favorable outcomes.
Tanya prepared 4 different letters to be sent to 4 different addresses. For each letter, she prepared an envelope with its correct address. If the 4 letters are to be put into the 4 envelopes at random, what is the probability that only 1 letter will be put into the envelope with its correct address?

(A) 1/24
(B) 1/8
(C) 1/4
(D) 1/3
(E) 3/8
Let the 4 letters be A, B, C and D.
Total ways to arrange the 4 letters = 4! = 24.
Let the correct ordering of the 4 letters be ABCD.

Write out the ways that ONLY A can be put in the correct position:
ACDB
ADBC
Total ways = 2.

Using the same reasoning, there will be 2 ways that ONLY B can be put in the correct position, 2 ways that ONLY C can be put in the correct position, and 2 ways that ONLY D can be put in the correct position.
Thus, the total number of ways to put EXACTLY 1 letter in the correct position = 2+2+2+2 = 8.

Thus:
P(exactly 1 letter is put in the correct position) = 8/24 = 1/3.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:49 pm
prachi18oct wrote:Image

Total Outcomes of putting 4 letters into 4 envelopes randomly = 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 4! = 24

Favorable cases = 4 (selecting the letter that goes into correct envelope let' say A) x 2 (second letter to go into wrong envelope let's say B goes into C's envelope) x 1(third letter to go into wrong envelope i.e. C will have to go into D's envelope which if not done the D will have to go into right envelope) x 1(D goes into B's envelope)

i.e. Favorable cases = 4 x 2 x 1 x 1 = 8

Favorable Probability = 8/24 = 1/3

Answer: Option D
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour