Full time or Part time MBA?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Full time or Part time MBA?

by pai_raki » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:43 pm
Hi All,
I am currently working as a software engineer in US. I have 6 years of experience in my field.

MBA was always one of the aspirations of my life. Due to personal reasons, I had to get married before I could purse with my MBA. Now I also have a child. But still the enthusiasm in me is alive and I have started preparing seriously for writing GMAT.

My first choice is always to join a full time MBA (of course this has other challenges with my current situation). I am also thinking of part time MBA program where I can work and also study. My company may not sponsor!

Meantime, I would like to get some advice from people here who might have similar situation as mine. Which is the best option for me? If full time, how can I manage to get a scholarship from the college? I have heard that part time programs require relatively low gmat scores compared to full program. Is this true?
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Rakesh.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:45 am
Generally, part time programs have lower GMAT scores. The best option is really up to you. You are weighing the network you gain in a full time program vs the cost and flexibility of a part time program. The answer is different for everyone.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:55 am
Hello Rakesh

Whether to join full time MBA or part time MBA depends on one key question - Your post MBA goals -Do you want to continue working your company or field, or you want to change your career (to finance or consulting, etc).

If you want to change your career trajectory, full time MBA will be the most advantageous option. Full time MBA will provide you with excellent networking opportunities. You will learn more from interactions with your peers, faculty and alumni than you would from textbooks and the relationships you will form, will be useful to you throughout your life especially when you want to find a new job or change an existing one. This is the biggest advantage that full time MBA programs provide and is something that part-time MBA lacks. The internship opportunities that you have in full time MBA programs will be most helpful in beginning a career in a new field. In part time MBA, you will not have in these opportunities.

Full time MBA students are more like to get scholarships. In part time MBA, it is true that you will be earning, but most of your income will go in paying your tuition. However, if you are not looking for a career change and want to continue in your existing field, then you can consider part time MBA. But keep in mind, that the duration of part time MBAs will be much longer and the remuneration post MBA will be lower than what a full time MBA student will be offered. As full time MBA programs are more competitive, they tend to have higher average GMAT scores.

If you could tell me more about your profile and post MBA goals, it would be easier to help you decide. You can also check out this article to get an idea about which schools are best for which type of MBA. https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/full-t ... cutive-mba

All the best
www.interviewbay.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Usman123 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:47 am
Hi Swati,

Congratulations for scoring 750 in GMAT. That is really awesome score to help you secure admit from top global B-Schools. The next step for you is to focus on your career goals, also brainstorm about your post MBA career goals and check which B-Schools will be a right fit.

We provide guarantee to pass learnalanguage - learn english gmat with online exam training learnalanguage - learn norwegian itil and you can also get best quality rosettastone mcat along with The Polyglot Club mcat for your guaranteed success.
DaRe DaViL

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:18 pm
Getting a scholarship will obviously be difficult. How you can do it is get a great gmat score, right awesome essays and have a killer interview. You might also want to apply to a number schools that might be below your target range. You will be a more attractive student to them and that might free up even more scholarship dollars for you.