Full Time MBA Profile Evaulation- Indian Female 4.6

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Dear ClearAdmit,

This is a humble request to evaluate my profile.

I am glad to see that ClearAdmit team is helping prospective applicants in profile evaluation for B School admission.

Could you kindly look into my profile and help me which B-Schools can I shortlist?

My profile:

Indian Female, B.tech( Non IIT / Non NIT) - GPA - 8.7, one of the top private universities in India.
GMAT: Aiming above 700+. Age :27
I am planning to apply for Full time MBA 2015.

Work Summary:
1. Rose from the role of a Team Member to a role of Project Lead for 5 members in a span of 4.6 years in TCS, India.
2. Do not have international experience.
3. Received appreciations from all the clients I havw worked with( Verizon, Microsoft, Nokia)
4. Certification: CCNA

Community service
1. Have 1 year volunteer experience with an organisation. Shown my leadership potential here.
2. National Service Scheme volunteer for 2 years.

Achievements
1. Organised the 13th National Children's Science Congress -2005, presided by Honorable Ex- President of India, Dr. A.P.J.Abdul Kalam.
2. Summer Research intern at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur from May - July 2008.
3. Elected as the Joint Secretary of Indian Society For Technical Education from 2008-2009.
4. Organised an event,reverbs, of ToastMaster International District82 .
5, Published an IEEE paper.
6, Presented and won many paper presentation contests at IIT's(Indian Institute of Technology) and NIT's(National Institute of Technology).

My target schools?
1. Kenan Flagler School of Business
2. McCombs School of Business
3. Duke Fuqua School of Business
4. Gouizeuta School of Business
5. Mannheim School of Business
6. Indian School of Business

1. Which schools shall i apply for my profile?
a. I like to study in towns rather than in cities.
b. I like warm climate.
c. I am looking for top25 schools only.
d.I am primary looking for colleges which can offer scholarships for my profile.

Based on these above criteria, I have shortlisted the above schools. Could you kindly let me know whether the targeted schools are apt for my profile? If not, could you say whether my profile is recommended to apply for these target schools?

2. Could you kindly comment about my leadership potential? Is that strong, weak or OK? What more I can do to make it better to put strong application forward?

3. As I worked primarily as a developer, I did not get a chance to go onsite in my company. Hence, I do not have any international experience. Do B-schools highly value of the international experience. Lack of international experience is a big worry to me. Will this hamper my chances to get into my target schools?

4. Can I contact admission committee of my target schools by sending my CV to them and asking my chances for scholarship?

5. I am an international student. I would prefer schools which provide scholarships than which do not. Which schools would provide scholarships for my profile? What are the aspects (in particular) each school look at?

Please help me. Your reviews are highly valuable.

Thanks and Regards,
Yamini

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:10 pm
Dear Yamini,

Thank you for your post!

What stands out the most from your work experience is the brand strength and leadership experience. Hopefully, you can quantify your results as Project Lead and showcase your leadership skills. As it stands, it's a bit difficult for me to comment on the strength of your leadership overall because there's no sense of the impact you've had:-) Your "achievements" will fill your data form and résumé nicely; however, keep in mind that the adcoms will be looking for more recent impact and achievements. So, depending on the timing of the volunteer work listed, you'll want to emphasize your leadership through those endeavors. Further, yes, schools do value international experience, but this does not necessarily mean that you have to be in a different country; this can be addressed by accounting for the diversity of clients/colleagues with whom you've worked or simply showing that you have a global outlook. Try to highlight any cultural challenges you've faced to show that you can operate in or understand a global environment.

In terms of the schools you have shortlisted, a solid GMAT score would serve you well. You also need to flesh out your career achievements as well as career goals more. Working backward from your career vision to why you need an MBA would help you better determine your fit with these programs. Again, it's a bit difficult to assess without a fuller picture of your work experience, impact, GMAT score and career goals.

In regards to scholarships, the schools' websites should have information on available ones. I recommend beginning with some personal research before reaching out to the schools for further information. You may eventually call and ask some questions, but I do not recommend starting with sending your CV unless a conversation turns to that solution.

Good luck on the GMAT! If you'd like to discuss your potential in greater detail, please contact us directly: https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.