From 550 to 750 in ~77 days studying full time,is it doable?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi guys!

I'm glad to be part of this wonderful community.

I took a diagnostic test and scored 550 (Q42/V24) without preparation. I would take the GMAT on January 14th studying full time since tomorrow (as many hours as I can put per day) aiming for at least a 750. Do you think is a reasonable plan or should I prolong time of preparation?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:21 am
Hi Jacopo1990,

You've asked a rather broad question, so I'll start broad - yes, it is possible to improve from a 550 to 750 in 77 days.

The problem with that type of thinking is that it focuses on the amount of available calendar time and the amount of study time that you can put into the process. Unfortunately, those are NOT the only factors when it comes to training to score at a high level on the GMAT.

Here are some of the other factors that will impact your studies (in no particular order):
-The proper study materials
-The proper guidance
-Your ability to learn new concepts/tactics, remember them, perform them correctly and THEN perform them correctly under time pressure
-Your focus on accuracy, organization, learning from your mistakes (so that you can eliminate those mistakes from your process)
-Realistic study that matches the parameters of Test Day.
-A calm personality that isn't bogged down by fear, doubt, negativity, etc.
-The proper amount of time

A 700+ score represents the 90th percentile, meaning that 90% of Test Takers either CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to score at that level. A 750+ score is closer to the 99th percentile.

Many Test Takers require 3 months (or more) to hit their respective peak scores; those peak scores are not necessarily 700+ scores.

Studying for the GMAT is a big process, but since the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Exam, you CAN train to CRUSH it. With such a high score goal, you should consider using a GMAT Course of some kind.

If you have any specific questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:21 am
Double-post
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by BestGMATEliza » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:46 pm
I think it is doable, but Rich is right it isn't just about how much time you put in, its also about how you study. So it is important to pick the right study path for you by analyzing your needs. Also, since you are planning ahead, you can study for a month and then check your progress before booking your test date. That, however, is dependent on how busy your test center is so you should check that first.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Eliza Chute
Best GMAT Prep Courses
GMAT course comparison and reviews
Your one stop for all your GMAT studying needs!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:21 pm
Hi,

This is definitely doable. With a smart plan and willingness to stick to it, you can definitely move closer to your target score. Remember, cracking GMAT is not just about working hard but working smart as well.

Start doing one thing. Whenever you take a mock test, spend at least three times the time in analysing your performance in the same. Typically, if you spend 2 hours in taking a mock test, spend 6 hours in analysing your performance. Make a list of all points which you think would have helped you achieve a higher score.

Implement these points in the next test. Keep doing this for all the tests and you will see your score improving consistently. Also, as you approach closer to your test date, start increasing the frequency at which you take the mock test.

Initially, you can focus on your weak areas and work on improving the same. As you approach closer, start focussing more on your strong areas and play to your strengths.

Hope this helps. If you have any other specific queries, please do let us know and we would be happy to help.

www.manyagroup.com