Fractions & Ratios - Satellite Sensor

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members
Hey Guys,

Can you please help me understand the solution to this problem?

A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which is equipped with a set of sensors, some of which have been upgraded. Each unit contains the same number of non-upgraded sensors. If the number of non-upgraded sensors on one unit is 1/5 the total number of upgraded sensors on the entire satellite, what fraction of the sensors on the satellite have been upgraded?

A) 5/6
B) 1/5
C) 1/6
D) 1/7
E) 1/24

-------------------------------

Answer

The problem tells us that the satellite is composed of 30 modular units, and there are sensors on each unit. Each unit contains the same number of non-upgraded sensors. We can use n to represent the number of sensors per unit that have not been upgraded. The problem also discusses the total number of upgraded sensors on the entire satellite; we can use u to represent this figure. The problem asks for the fraction of upgraded sensors on the entire satellite, u, among all sensors on the entire satellite, 30n + u. In other words, we want to find the fraction .

The problem tells us that the number of non-upgraded sensors on one unit, n, is 1/5 of the total number of upgraded sensors on the entire satellite, u. We can write this as a proportion and simplify:

5n = u

We can substitute this relationship into our original fraction:

This corresponds to answer choice D.

Alternately, we might consider using Smart Numbers. However, since there is a constraint in the problem (the total number of units is 30) and a specific relationship between the numbers (the number of non-upgraded sensors on each unit is 1/5 the total upgraded sensors on the satellite), it would be difficult to select Smart Numbers that work well.

The correct answer is D

I don't understand where they came up with 30n + u.. When I do this I would assume that N+U=30....

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:32 am
marshelle.slayton wrote:Hey Guys,

Can you please help me understand the solution to this problem?

A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which is equipped with a set of sensors, some of which have been upgraded. Each unit contains the same number of non-upgraded sensors. If the number of non-upgraded sensors on one unit is 1/5 the total number of upgraded sensors on the entire satellite, what fraction of the sensors on the satellite have been upgraded?

A) 5/6
B) 1/5
C) 1/6
D) 1/7
E) 1/24
Let the TOTAL number of upgraded sensors = 5.
Then the number of non-upgraded sensors on EACH unit = (1/5)*5 = 1.
Thus, the TOTAL number of non-upgraded sensors on the 30 units = 30*1 = 30.
Upgraded/(Upgraded+Non-upgraded) = 5/(5+30) = 1/7.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by marshelle.slayton » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:05 am
Thanks GMATGuruNY,

How I thought about it was based on the information given in the 3rd paragraph, 5/6 are upgraded and 1/6 are not on how ever many senors there are per unit.

I don't understand your third line item... Where in the question can we infer that? There is a satellite, it has 30 units, each of the units has some amount of sensors, of those 1/5 aren't upgraded. So upgraded units would be 5/6 (which was wrong).

I don't understand how you can add 30 units to 5? there are 30 total units as said in the problem statement so I guess I am confused by this calculation.. Where am I going wrong?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:12 pm
marshelle.slayton wrote: A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which is equipped with a set of sensors, some of which have been upgraded. Each unit contains the same number of non-upgraded sensors. If the number of non-upgraded sensors on one unit is 1/5 the total number of upgraded sensors on the entire satellite, what fraction of the sensors on the satellite have been upgraded?

A) 5/6
B) 1/5
C) 1/6
D) 1/7
E) 1/24
A satellite is composed of 30 modular units, each of which is equipped with a set of sensors, some of which have been upgraded. Each unit contains the same number of non-upgraded sensors.
So, here's a sketch of 30 modular units.
The circles inside each unit represent sensors. The circles with black centers represent NON-upgraded sensors, and the empty red circles represent upgraded sensors.
For my sketch, I placed ONE NON-upgraded sensor in each of the 30 modular units (since we're told that each unit contains the same number of non-upgraded sensors)

The number of non-upgraded sensors on ONE UNIT is 1/5 the total number of upgraded sensors on the ENTIRE satellite
This tells us that there aren't many upgraded sensors among the satellite's 30 modular units
So, let's REDRAW the diagram to start with 1 NON-upgraded sensor in each of the 30 modular units

Okay, so if there's 1 NON-upgraded sensor in EACH of the 30 modular units, then there is a TOTAL of 5 UPgraded sensors on the ENTIRE satellite.
So, let's add 5 UPgraded sensors to our diagram to get:

At this point, our diagram meets all of the conditions in the question.

What fraction of the sensors on the satellite have been upgraded?
We can see that we have a total of 35 sensors, and 5 of them are upgraded.
So, the fraction = 5/35 = 1/7

Answer: D

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com