folk song

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

folk song

by hemant_rajput » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:15 am
To fully appreciate contemporary folk songs is to understand the history of American country music more comprehensively than those that do not understand the history of American country music. Many musicians do not appreciate contemporary folk songs. Therefore, those that prefer contemporary folk songs have more of an understanding of the history of American country music than many musicians.

Which of the following is an assumption upon which the argument depends?

Many musicians prefer contemporary folk songs.

Those that fully appreciate contemporary folk songs enjoy contemporary folk songs.

Those that prefer contemporary folk songs understand the history of American country music.

Those that prefer contemporary folk songs fully appreciate contemporary folk songs.

Many musicians fully appreciate contemporary folk songs.
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:14 am
hemant_rajput wrote:To fully appreciate contemporary folk songs is to understand the history of American country music more comprehensively than those that do not understand the history of American country music. Many musicians do not appreciate contemporary folk songs. Therefore, those that prefer contemporary folk songs have more of an understanding of the history of American country music than many musicians.

Which of the following is an assumption upon which the argument depends?

Many musicians prefer contemporary folk songs.

Those that fully appreciate contemporary folk songs enjoy contemporary folk songs.

Those that prefer contemporary folk songs understand the history of American country music.

Those that prefer contemporary folk songs fully appreciate contemporary folk songs.

Many musicians fully appreciate contemporary folk songs.
The assumption is WHAT MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to be valid.

Premise: To understand the history of country music, one must FULLY APPRECIATE contemporary folk songs.
Conclusion: People who PREFER contemporary folk songs understand the history of American country music better than many musicians.

For the conclusion to be valid, it must be true that people who PREFER contemporary folk songs also FULLY APPRECIATE contemporary folk songs.
D: Those that prefer contemporary folk songs fully appreciate contemporary folk songs.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:1 members

by BTGmoderatorAT » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:17 am
I agree it's "D"

The origin of country music can be traced with the 17th century.It takes its roots from styles such as folk music & blues.