First Essay - Help with Structure

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

First Essay - Help with Structure

by JoeMary » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:53 am
Hi all,

Could you please give me some tips on the essay. To make it more real I limited myself to 30 minutes, so this is the result. Do you think this is a good tactic?

The main argument is costs dropped for the film industry with time so the company, which is in the food processing industry, will see its costs drop because it is celebrating its 25 anniversary. For this reason, its profits will increase.

Its the first topic in the OG13 (should I looked for them in the internet to paste them here?)

Best,
joe

The following argument is flawed for the following reasons. Primarily, the argument is based on the flawed assumption that the company's experience will enable it to reduce costs as it happened with the film industry, rendering the conclusion that its profits will increase, ivalid.

The argument states that what held true for the film processing industry is comparable to what will happen to the food processing industry. To start, this is not necessarily true as it fails to account for several factors. For example, the costs in the film industry could have decreased due to the advances in technology rather than experience. Furthemore, if the lower costs are driven by advancements in technology rather than experience this could threaten Olympic Foods business if the compnay fails to adopt the new technology and relies solely on their experience to lower costs. For example, despite the film industry prices become more competitive with time, in the end, the industry was obliterated by the rise of digital media.

The argument also claims that minimizing costs will drive profits higher which is not always true. If the company does business in a competitive market, lower costs will lead to lower prices, hence profit will not increase. In this case, if the company provided information on why it is going to be able to maintain prices high even if their costs fall will help to strenghten the argument.

Because the argument made several unwarranted assumptions and fail to provide information on why it should be able to capitlize on their experience to maximize profits it is flawed.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:29 am
Hello JoeMary,

I'm glad to see that you've started your AWA prep! I strongly recommend writing practice responses within the time limit so you can get used to producing your work in a realistic setting. I also recommend pasting the prompt before your response so other people can read it and learn from your work.

Writing: There are some careless errors (ivalid instead of invalid) that you should be able to catch if you save a few minutes to read through your work before submitting your response. You use "flawed" a lot, and I think that you can come up with synonyms. Some of your sentences are long and confusing, so stick to short and concise sentences when possible.

Structure: The goal for a top-scoring response is to reach five paragraphs, so you have some work to do. I know it's tough to get five paragraphs of content within the time limit, but practicing will help you write faster and pull out key pieces of the prompt in a more efficient way. Your conclusion is definitely too short, and it doesn't have many details from the prompt. That makes it feel generic, which won't help you score points.

Arguments/Examples: I liked your argument about how there could be many reasons for costs to decrease. However, I think that you missed one of the biggest and most commonly used arguments: we can't necessarily compare the film and food industries because they're completely different!

Suggestions for Improvement: I'd give this essay close to a three, but with some practice you should be able to increase that score. Make sure to work on adding length and a real conclusion. Spend a few minutes reading through your work to eliminate careless errors. You may be able to work more efficiently if you create a short outline before you start writing, so see if that helps in your next response. Our free AWA videos (https://gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-anal ... assessment) can give you a sense of how to structure your essay and respond to a prompt within the time limit.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Katharine
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by JoeMary » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:26 am
Thank you very much! This is really helpful.

BTW, I tried to argue that the industries are different. I am going it to re read it carefully because, evidently, my point wasn't clear. I think it was so obvious that argument that I didn't want to focus too much on it...

Wow, 5 paragraphs... I was following Magoosh guidelines, thats why I kept it short (plus, I ran out of time). I guess as I get more comfortable with this kind of writing I will be able to articulate my thoughts faster.

Again, thanks.
joe

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:17 am
Glad to help. You mostly emphasized the difference in costs between the two industries, and I only saw an explicit statement about comparing the two industries once at the beginning of the essay. You can keep those examples about costs, just make it more clear that you can't compare apples to oranges. Don't worry if you think an argument is obvious: all of these prompts are set up to have at least one serious flaw, so the first problem you think of is probably correct.

I get that it's tough to write so much in a short period of time, but take a look at this sample essay straight from the GMAT test makers (it got a six): https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/gma ... stion.aspx

That's even longer than a five paragraph essay! I don't think writing six paragraphs is a necessary goal, but getting five strong paragraphs will help your score. Remember, the graders only spend a few minutes on each essay. Length is one of the first things they notice visually, even if they say other elements matter more.
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying