First Attempt at GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

First Attempt at GMAT

by urlbrd05 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:28 pm
All,

I just wanted to get some quick advice on my re-attempt at the GMAT. Quick history about my studies. I've been preparing since March through Magoosh and the OG. I used the 3 month study guide which was great and I was consistently scoring 580-590 on my practice CATS. I'm definitely stronger verbally and would usually get mid 30s on my quant score.

I took the GMAT last Monday (July 27th) and was disappointed in that I scored a 590. I didn't write down the verbal/quant break down and canceled the score because it is definitely not where I need to be. The thing that gives me hope or makes me second guess my next move in studying is the fact that I scored a 670 just two days before that official test date (Q45/V37). This was a GMAC CAT as well. It was as close to test taking conditions as I could make it and I felt very confident going into the actual exam on Monday (maybe too lose).

I have already purchased the MGMAT 6th Edition books and wanted to get everyone's take on what would be a good move or the best way for me to utilize my time. I'd like to take the test as soon as possible (possibly in the next 2 weeks). I don't want to lose all of the knowledge that I've gained through the great product that is Magoosh. I felt that the more practice problems I did that week prior to the test, the better I was getting. I've already used all practice problems on Magoosh as well as the OG so I feel like I'll be rehashing old problems and not really gaining any more traction hence the purchase of the Manhattan product.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I just don't know if that 670 was a fluke and I need to put some more time in or just go for it! Thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:51 pm
Hi urlbrd05,

From what you describe about your overall CAT scores, this 670 sounds like an 'outlier.' As such, I have a few questions about how you took THAT CAT:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take it at home?
3) Did you take it at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during this CAT that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, take longer breaks, skip sections etc.)?
5) Have you taken this CAT before?

All things being equal, you Official Score 'lined up' with how most of your practice was going, so it's not much of a surprise.

What was/is your score goal?
When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by urlbrd05 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:23 pm
Thanks Rich for the quick reply!

1. I took the entire CAT (sans Essay). The 670 exam was actually the first CAT in which I took the IR. The other 5-6 practice exams were only quant and verbal.
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. No
5. This was a clean CAT with all new problems.

My score goal that I had initially put down back in March was a 680, but the more research I've done on my target schools I've realized that I'd be good with a 620-640. I'm really wanting to apply by Round 2 at the latest this fall and I'm looking at several executive programs. I'm an older guy and definitely not looking at doing a full time program.

I'd definitely like to just get it wrapped up within the next month so I can move on with the application process. I truly feel like if I focus my effort for the next 2-3 weeks I can get it where I need it. I just wanted to see what the good folks on this forum thought. Thanks again and I'll keep tuned in...

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:43 pm
Hi urlbrd05,

Practice CAT scores are only as realistic as YOU make the process of taking the CAT. The more the 'CAT-taking event' deviates from what you'll face on Test Day, the more likely the score is to be inaccurate (and in most cases, that means "inflated"). Based on what you've described, there are some unrealistic aspects to how you took all of your CATs. By skipping the essay section and by usually skipping the IR section (meaning that you did NOT take the Full CAT at ANY time) and taking the CAT at home, you trained yourself for a different 'event.' Now that you've experienced the Official GMAT, you have to make your practice 'match up' with THAT experience in as many ways as you can realistically make happen - so that you can properly train to score at a higher level.

What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on your Official GMAT?

Since you've invested in some new resources already, they might be enough to help you improve and hit your score goals. 2 weeks is not a lot of prep time though. Do you have the flexibility to push your Test Date back (even if it's just a few weeks or a month)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by krishnapv » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:03 pm
Hello,

One thing I would suggest is that it is important for you to identify your areas of weaknesses and try to work on them. This was a mistake I made during my initial preparation for GMAT. It is highly important to understand the concept. For example, you should be able to identify the concept in a question and try to solve the problem. If you are unable to solve the problem within 2mins or max 2:30. It is time to skip and move on. If you are running behind on time, it means that you are yet to master the concept. GMAT problems are tough and they get easier once you identify the concept and try to solve accordingly.

Hope this helps!

by avi123 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:54 pm
Visit gmat-scholar.com...These guys have comprehensive techniques which will be helpful to get your dream score.