Finished all of OG and supplements! What Now?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I have been studying for the gmat for about two years now off and on. I took the gmat last month and achieved a score of 670 (much lower than I wanted). I was able to score much better on the gmatprep practice tests and I have solved every OG15 and supplement book questions available. My goal is to score in the mid 700s but when re attempt the OG problems I can basically get them all correct. I am worried that I am out of reputable studying material. Could anyone please suggest what I should do next in order to improve my score? Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon May 04, 2015 12:35 pm
Hi mlevit89,

First off, a 670 is a strong score (it's right above the 80th percentile overall), so you might not need to retest. I would like to know a bit more about that score and your plans though:

1) When you scored 670, what were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores? Those numbers will provide some data on what you likely need to work on.
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) Have you thought about which Schools you want to apply to?

If you do end up retesting, beyond working on additional practice problems, it's likely that you need to learn and practice some new tactics.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by mlevit89 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:54 pm
Dear Rich,
Thank you very much for replying. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Q45 V37
2. I will apply for fall 2016, depending on when I finish my GMAT.
3. Yes I have. I want to apply in the top 20.

I want to score as high as possible because I have a low gpa, 2.5, and I want the best chances of getting into these schools. Thank you.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by andymal » Mon May 04, 2015 8:58 pm
Hi mlevit89,

I was in a similar position too. I found that it really isn't about the number of new questions, it's about really understanding each question. Understanding how the right answer is right, and being clear on why the wrong answers are wrong.

Another really important thing to me is being able to get the thought process down to attack the questions. I find that revisiting the same questions is a big deal to reinforce improvement after learning the tactics from my training.

My scores have been way up since I started revisiting the OG.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed May 06, 2015 8:54 am
Hi mlevit89,

If you know the specific Schools that you want to apply to, then you might want to review your Overall profile with an Admissions Expert. There's a Forum full of them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html

With your lower GPA, a retest might be something to consider. Before jumping back into study mode though, you really should have that consultation and plan out your timeline for the rest of the year. When you've worked out those details, you should post back here.

Rich

by mlevit89 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:33 am
Hello Rich,
I spoke with a adviser from Stacey Blackman consulting on the phone. They recommended that I improve my GMAT score before I begin to apply.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri May 08, 2015 3:22 pm
Hi mlevit89,

To score in the mid-700s, you're going to need to improve BOTH your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores.

Since you took a 'book-heavy' study approach before, you're likely going to need to shift to a more computer-based plan this time around. Since you've already put in some significant study time already, and given your needs and timeframe, I recommend that you use the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster Study Plan. Most of our clients can finish that Plan in under 2 months (although you might need more or less time than that), so it would fit nicely with your timeline.

We have a variety of free resources that you can use before you decide (at our website - www.empowergmat.com).

If you have any additional questions, then feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Mon May 11, 2015 9:57 am
Hi mlevit89,

Most computer-based/online resources offer free trials to give you the option to see what works best for you. With that in mind, especially considering your timeframe, here's a link to try Economist GMAT Tutor for 7 days: https://bit.ly/1bPAHuW. You'll notice that, in addition to a 70-point increase guarantee, its adaptive technology will adjust your study plans to your needs.

Best,
Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon May 11, 2015 11:53 am
Well, I might as well chime in and mention that GMAT Prep Now has over 70+ free videos, and we offer a 7-day risk-free money-back guarantee.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com