Female CFA candidate + PE + Low GPA

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Female CFA candidate + PE + Low GPA

by thepoet » Fri May 02, 2014 2:22 pm
I'd written a post a year ago, and since my profile has changed. I'd like to get your opinion on my viability for a top 5 MBA.

Female, Minority, 26
Graduated: UofT, 2012
GPA: 2.95 [Half of courses are 3.7+, half are poor)
GMAT: Not yet written (IQ:130)
CFA: Level 2 Candidate
Work Experience: Close to 2 years in Investor Relations for a HedgeFund Administrator. Just started a Private Equity internship (as an Associate) at a small firm (2 months in).
Extra Curricular: Have two NGO's. One of which led me to speak at the European Parliament on Human Rights issues. Have held media events internationally, highly focused on a particular cause. Have a website of creative social art projects.

Low GPA: Studied Life Sciences for the first 2 years, which I despised (coerced by parents to pursue Medicine)

Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Tue May 06, 2014 2:18 pm
Hello thepoet,

Thank you for your post!

Your extracurricular activities are particularly interesting. Many MBA applicants volunteer for NGOs; however, the entrepreneurship you've demonstrated in launching and running two would help you stand out. Unfortunately, adcoms tend to draw a mental line at 3.0 for GPA, and applicants whose grades fall below this mark generally need to work hard to convince their target program that they could handle the rigorous coursework. It looks like you would be able to explain your situation in your optional essay, citing your other successful coursework. Ideally, these would be quant-based courses to show you could handle the MBA work. Keep in mind that a strong GMAT score would also help to assuage their likely concerns and make you more competitive at a top 5 program. In regards to how your CFA would weigh in here, it's viewed more as a sign of professional dedication than academic achievement. So, while it would showcase your knowledge of finance, it will not be given as much weight as academic coursework.

It is also worth considering what you want from an MBA and what you hope to do after graduation. This will help you determine potential back-up programs and consider your needs beyond rankings alone.

In regards to your work experience, given that you just started at a new firm, it will likely be difficult for you to showcase the kind of results and achievements for which the adcom will be looking. It is always important to show that you learned things from your posts, worked with others (in teams), gained leadership experience and interacted with senior management. The adcom will also be looking for quantified results in order to get a sense of scope and scale of your achievements, relative to other applicants.

Overall, I can see some interesting aspects of your candidacy; however, currently, there are a few hurdles you would have to overcome to become more competitive in the MBA applicant pool. We would be happy to discuss your possibilities further and if you'd like a free consultation, please contact us: https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.