Feeling Frustated- Fourth Attempt Still 670( Q-47 V-35) !!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Today I gave my GMAT and this was my fourth attempt.
My previous scores were:
GMAT 1: 590( Q-45 V-26)
GMAT 2: 640( Q-48 V-28)
GMAT 3: 620( Q-44 V-31)
GMAT 4: 670( Q-47 V-35)

I am feeling really frustrated. I did put lot of efforts this time and consistently I was scoring consistently around 720 in GMAT Prep tests.( 690,710,730,720)
In Manhattan test, my scores in past 4 test were 690,720,710,720. In all of them I scored fairly good in Quant( 48-49)and verbal ranging b/w 37-41.

I had a very positive mindset that I will be able to break 700 barrier this time but it all shattered.
In the exam, Quant started off nice and in middle got some really tough questions and thought test was going fine and was confident to score in 48-49 range.
In Verbal as well, i saw couple of long and tough RCs with CR also being very tough than usual.But it all resulted in 670 only.

I am clueless now , what should I do next? Verbal is the area where there is scope of improvement but I have tried all and now quite confident in verbal but score of 35 has again pushed me back.
Belonging to competitive pool (Indian, IT, Male) , I need to get atleast 720-740 to stand.Any suggestion on how to move forward or has anyone has been in similar situation? If yes, suggest me how to overcome this.

With R1 deadlines nearby, I am really frustrated how to go ahead. Not sure if I should retake or not?Although, I still believe I can get to that 720-740 mark but given my past scores I have started doubting myself.

Advices/Suggestions Please.
[/color]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:43 pm
Hi beatenbygmat,

Since you've taken the GMAT 4 times, I have a few questions about how you prepared for each attempt:

1) Were each of these GMAT Test Dates within the last 12 months?
2) If they were, then how did you prepare for each? What resources did you use? What CATs did you take before each Official GMAT?
3) With this latest attempt, did you take CATs that you had already taken before?
4) When you took these CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT every time (including the Essay and IR sections)?

For Test Day:
1) Did the start time of your Test match the start times of your practice CATs?
2) How much time did you have to spend traveling to the Testing Center?

GMAC allows you to take up to 5 GMATs in one rolling year period. Your next attempt will be your 5th. If all of your Official Tests were within the last year, then after this next attempt, you will be "locked out" until your oldest score passes the "one year mark" (and you will not be allowed to test again until that time).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by beatenbygmat » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:14 pm
Hi Rich,

Yes, last year I took GMAT in Sept 1st week so I have given 4 gmat attempt within a year( 1 month remaining).
The third attempt was in quite hurry and I believe was the one in which I was not well prepared.But for rest of them I prepared sincerely.
For resources, I have taken MGMAT tests, Couple of Veritas tests and of course GMAT Prep along with EP1.
In MGMAT my score ranged between 690-720 while in GMAT prep it was 690,710,740,720. I never scored less than 49 in Quant in any of GMAT prep tests while Verbal was in range of 36-39.

And yes, I took last couple of tests in realistic conditions with all IR and AWA.

I went to test center with a positive mindset and scheduled my test at the usual time when I practice my mocks often.

I think I should give another shot but quite nervous seeing my last four attempts. The truth of 700 barrier is biting me.I want to nail Verbal to 40 anyhow. Any suggestions on how to improve??

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:33 pm
Hi beatenbygmat,

You did not quite answer all of my questions, but there's a likely explanation for why your Official Score was lower than your practice CAT scores.

Since you've taken the GMAT 4 times over the last year, I have to assume that you studied before each attempt (and took several CATs before each attempt). You've also been a member of this Forum since at least last November, so I have to assume that you've done practice problems, read explanations, etc.

If you took the same CATs more than once, then you would have seen some repeat questions (questions that you already knew the answers to). If you've used this Forum, then there's a good chance that you learned about questions that you ended up seeing on your practice CATs. Either of these scenarios would lead to artificially "inflated" scores and an unrealistic result. Together, it could be a staggering inflation. On Test Day, everything was "new" and you earned a more realistic (albeit lower) score.

As you start to study again, you have to put a premium on some new resources - at the very least, some new CATs that you've never seen before. Your Verbal scores have increased with every Official GMAT, so you should either continue practicing what you've learned or learn some additional tactics to "mesh" with your current ones.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]