Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

Factions or %s of People. When to round up or down?

This topic has 3 member replies
mateodude Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
9 messages
Factions or %s of People. When to round up or down? Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:31 pm
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Does anyone know if there is a hard fast rule for computing fractions or %s of people (or anything that can only exist as a whole)?

For example, Q72 in OG11 Section 5.3. We are told to find 1/3 of 40 committee members, which is 13 1/3. I assumed that since it is not possible to have 1/3 of a person, round up. That was incorrect logic on my part. The answer is 13.

Is there a universal rule for problems such as this one? Perhaps where one is asked to find max/s or min/s of people using fractions of "whole only" objects? Or is it a case by case situation?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:40 pm
    This is a very interesting point. When it comes to people--who can't be cut into fractions, as you rightly pointed out--I have always rounded down. Thus far, my results have always been consistent with the OA.

kajcha GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    321 messages
    Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:49 pm
    I will suggest to evaluate the situation in the question.

E.g in this particular situation the Q asks what is the greatest no of members who could vote and still the resolution is passed... As you said it is 40/3 = 13 1/3. Now, if you round up the resolution will not be passed so you need to round down.

My 2 cents. hope this helps.

wongee Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
    Posted:
    76 messages
    Post Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:56 pm
    I remember this problem, the way to work with this is subjective to the problem. In terms of people the question asked what is the most - so technically we have only half of the next person which isnt humanly possibly, so u have to go with whatever 'whole people' you can get, so the fraction/decimal is brought down.

Best Conversation Starters

1 j_shreyans 84 topics
    2 aditya8062 40 topics
    3 anksm22 35 topics
    4 kamalakarthi 30 topics
    5 RiyaR 28 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

170 posts
    2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow