Extreme Problems with DS

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Extreme Problems with DS

by yearzack » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:15 am
Good Morning All,

I am currently slated to take the GMAT in August and am running in issues with DS. I am currently using MGMAT, OG, and Magoosh products to aid in my studying. I notice that with the PS problems the more of them I do the better I am performing, however not with DS. I understand the mathematical concepts of the problems however in DS I keep on running into issues. Any strategies that will help my overcome this hurdle in the race to the GMAT would be greatly appreciated. Any resources would also be greatly appreciated.

All the Best,
Yearzack

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:14 am
Your situation is very common among people preparing for the GMAT. The truth of the matter is that EVERYONE struggles with Data Sufficiency (DS) questions at first. Keep in mind that this question type is unique to the GMAT, so it's totally foreign territory.

It just takes time for the concepts and strategies to become secondary, at which point you may come to find that DS questions are actually easier than Problem Solving questions.

I could start listing dozens of DS strategies and common mistakes (like confusing the answer to sufficiency question to the answer to the target question), but it's easier to just direct you to our free set of 16 videos that cover everything you need to know to tackle DS questions: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:00 pm
Hi yearzack,

Since you posted this in another Forum, I've pasted my response from there:

Data Sufficiency can be a challenge for many Test Takers, so you're not alone. One of the things to remember about DS questions is that they test you on a variety of skills that are not, strictly speaking, "math skills" - thoroughness, organization, attention-to-detail, the ability to PROVE that you're correct, etc. As such, you'll often need Quant tactics and pattern-matching skills to perform at a high level on DS questions (as a group).

When you say that you're using those 'products', does that mean that you're just doing lots of practice problems? Do you have a series of 'steps' that you consistently go through when dealing with DS questions (and if so, then what are those steps?)?

How have you performed on your practice CATs (including Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
Are you having problems finishing any of the sections on time (do you have to rush just to get through all of the questions)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member

by nikhilgmat31 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:11 pm
I would recommend to read Manhattan Advanced strategy guide. Awesome book for DS & PS strategies.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by yearzack » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:42 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:Your situation is very common among people preparing for the GMAT. The truth of the matter is that EVERYONE struggles with Data Sufficiency (DS) questions at first. Keep in mind that this question type is unique to the GMAT, so it's totally foreign territory.

It just takes time for the concepts and strategies to become secondary, at which point you may come to find that DS questions are actually easier than Problem Solving questions.

I could start listing dozens of DS strategies and common mistakes (like confusing the answer to sufficiency question to the answer to the target question), but it's easier to just direct you to our free set of 16 videos that cover everything you need to know to tackle DS questions: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency

Cheers,
Brent
Thank you for the tip on watching the videos. I found that they were extremely helpful. I believe that will enough practice and elbow grease I will finally be able to "crack" the GMAT. Thanks again.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:23 am
Hi yearzack,

I'm happy to hear you liked the videos.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com