Expert help needed: Very strange admissions situation

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members
Hi,
I'm looking to apply for a US or Canadian MBA in the fall of 2015, and I have a VERY strange admissions problem that I just can't wrap my head around.

I'm currently a small business owner since the last almost three years, but previously I had worked with the Business Process Outsourcing (BPO)unit of TCS, Tata Consultancy Services (formerly known as Citigroup Global Services), for over over five years. They were a BPO company providing services to various subsidiaries of Citigroup. This five-year tenure is where I got most of my grooming, and which is the pillar of my resume, and one that I'm sure will make my entry into a good school possible.

My issues are as follows:

(1) TCS follows a hierarchy that's very, very typical of any Indian company. From the bottom up, the titles/designations were: (1) Band 1 -- Process Associate (2) Band 2 -- Senior Process Associate (3) Band 3 -- Team Leader (4) Band 4 -- Assistant Manager and so on and so forth. This is how HR records an individual's employment with the company.

But, since all of the units/departments in the company were outsourced from the US, the job functions were allocated as per the US hierarchy, which didn't match with a person's job title on paper as per HR's records.

How do I make this clear to the ad-com, considering that I'm one of those whose job responsibility was completely out-of-sync with my designation on paper?

(2) Secondly, in the company, a person's job title (Band 1 -- Process Associate, Band 2 -- Senior Process Associate etc.) didn't dictate or restrict his job function. Band promotions were given more on the basis of tenure than anything else, where a person would get a band hike every 3 years, with an associated salary hike. Band promotions didn't necessarily have any connection to the actual work he/she did.

For example -- There were people who were at Band 2 (Senior Process Associate), but who handled teams of/trained people who were at higher bands than them. AND, there were people at Bands 3 (Team Leader) & 4 (Assistant Manager) who performed job functions that are normally associated with entry level employees.

UNFORTUNATELY, HR doesn't record all of this out-of-sync information. HR considers your band as your "Job Title" IRRESPECTIVE of your actual job function. Also, HR records your "Job Function" as that that are normally associated with your Band, EVEN if that is not the case.

For example -- HR's records would reveal that a Band 4 employee has "Assistant Manager" as his "Job Function" EVEN if he was doing entry level work. Or, a team leader who was at a Band 2 would still have a "Job Function" as that associated with a slightly-above-entry-level employee, EVEN THOUGH this person was doing the job of a team leader.

Such is my case. On paper, I was a Senior Process Associate (Band 2), but in the department that I worked in, Citimortgage Inc., I was a team leader and also did plenty of training for sales and other job-specific training.

Unfortunately, an old buddy of mine who now works in the company's HR told me a few days ago that HR does not keep track of ones ACTUAL job function. It considers ones "Job Function" to be that which is normally associated with ones band, EVEN if that is not the case in reality. This renders ALL the managerial experience, training experience and other work experience I got, which would clearly help my chances to get into a good business school, as good as flushed down the toilet.

And to make things worse, not long after I quit the company in May 2011, Citimortage Inc. decided to withdraw that unit back to the US (which is what prompted my resignation in the first place), so that unit has been long gone from my ex-company, and most of my co-workers and bosses have either quit or are in other departments in other parts of the country, with no connection to the Mumbai branch.

So I guess my questions are: What should I do here? Should I mention this scenario to the ad-com and actually mention all of my work experience even though HR doesn't keep any record this info? Or should I not mention all my additional work experience considering HR keeps no record of it?

I wish to be 100% ethical here, and I don't want the ad-coms to have even a shadow of a doubt about my credentials. So please advice. Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:26 am
Hello there good sir,
You know, I have good news for you. The rule of thumb for whatever you should write is: Whatever is most effective. I mean it. You know, resumes are an art. They aren't physics formulas. And the best resumes are the ones that present themselves in the best way, that make a cohesive narrative, while containing all of your "Greatest hits" and basically, making you seem as good as you can on paper. That is the art of the resume. Without being untruthful in any way of course.

For example, in your following situation: "On paper, I was a Senior Process Associate (Band 2), but in the department that I worked in, Citimortgage Inc., I was a team leader and also did plenty of training for sales and other job-specific training. "

Okay. The first questions you ask yourself are: What is more important? What is most impressive? What shows more leadership?

And then you CHOOSE to emphasize those things. So here you would DEFINITELY write Team Leader as your title. Why? a) it's more impressive. B) Nobody has any clue whatsoever what Senior Process Assistant Band 2 means c) if you use that wacky title, people with think you are just a super techie who has no people skills.

Your narrative is yours to build (of course within the bounds of truth. Goes without saying)

And I don't usually like plugs, but if you want to see magic done with your resume, try us out:
https://admissionado.com/mba/services-pr ... e-editing/

Best,
JF
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat May 24, 2014 6:44 pm
Agree w/ the earlier poster -- you should write what most effectively describes your experiences and career progression. Your job is to paint the best and most accurate picture of how your experiences will help enhance the community of the schools you are applying to.

Don't worry as much about every nook and cranny -- I am not suggesting you would lie, but I also think you should feel empowered to craft the narrative that will help you the best.

Good luck!

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)