Executives and federal officials say that

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

Executives and federal officials say that

by ayushiiitm » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:43 pm
Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse. which already are a cost to business of more than $100 billion a year.

(A) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of
(B) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already cost business
(C) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, already with business costs of
(D) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costing business
(E) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costs business

My take

significantly should be used>>>adverb to modify growing

left with A, B or C

though i see that B has the most succinct and idiomatic expression already cost business

my doubt is about 'which'

'which' modifies immediately placed noun
but here it seems to me that which is preceded by a phrase "the effects of drug and alcohol abuse"

So how is 'which' supposed to modify that

OA : B
Success is a journey.....enjoy every moment of it

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by hardik.jadeja » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:59 pm
My pick is B.

I think "which" in A, B and C is modifying "drug and alcohol abuse".

This way the sentence means that drug and alcohol abuse is costing the business more than $100 billion a year. I think this is the intended meaning.

by Haaress » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:08 pm
Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse , which already are a cost to business of more than $100 billion a year.

(A) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of - lacks concision.
(B) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already cost business
(C) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, already with business costs of - effects is the subject
(D) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costing business - Significant in vs Significantly ...Former is wordy
(E) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costs business - same as D

GMAT Score:700

by ayushiiitm » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:10 pm
hardik.jadeja wrote:My pick is B.

I think "which" in A, B and C is modifying "drug and alcohol abuse".

This way the sentence means that drug and alcohol abuse is costing the business more than $100 billion a year. I think this is the intended meaning.
i think ..........'Which' will modify either the effects of drug and alcohol abuse or just the effects....

see the sentence is the Effects of X and Y, which cost business

its not X and Y, but their effect that cost business.

also If which modifies X and y then it would be plural
Success is a journey.....enjoy every moment of it

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by hardik.jadeja » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:42 pm
ayushiiitm wrote: i think ..........'Which' will modify either the effects of drug and alcohol abuse or just the effects....

see the sentence is the Effects of X and Y, which cost business

its not X and Y, but their effect that cost business.

also If which modifies X and y then it would be plural
I think "which" can modify only nouns. In this sentence, it modifies either "effects" or "drug and alcohol abuse". Either way, only the meaning of the sentence changes.

Just to add, "which" can sometime refer to a noun placed earlier than immediately preceding one (refer this post: https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/post1472.html#p1472) but I don't think "which" can modify phrases (not 100% sure, comments welcome).

No matter what is the reference of "which", the answer is still B, since rest of the choices have grammatical errors. You should always look for grammatically errors first. The meaning of the sentence comes into picture only when you have more than one grammatically correct sentences.

Hope that helps..

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:02 am
I received a PM requesting my analysis of this SC.
Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of more than $100 billion a year.

(A) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business
of
(C) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, already with business costs of
(D) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costing business
(E) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costs business
In A, of more than 100 billion a year seems to modify business, implying a BUSINESS OF MORE THAN 100 BILLION A YEAR.
Not the intended meaning.
The intended meaning is that the EFFECTS cost more than 100 billion a year.
Eliminate A.

In C, business costs distorts the intended meaning.
The intention here is to discuss the costs not of business but of DRUG AND ALCOHOL ABUSE.
Eliminate C.

In D and E, significant seems to modify workers, implying that WORKERS are significant.
Not the intended meaning.
The intended meaning is that the USE OF CRACK AND COCAINE...is significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse.
Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is B.

OA: Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding THE EFFECTS of drug and alcohol abuse, WHICH already COST business more than $100 billion a year.

On the GMAT, which + PLURAL VERB serves to refer to the nearest preceding plural noun.
Here, which already cost (plural) serves to refer to the effects (the nearest preceding plural noun).
Conveyed meaning:
THE EFFECTS of drug and alcohol abuse already COST business more than $100 billion a year.

drug and alcohol abuse
Here, drug and alcohol serves as an adjective modifying abuse.
What KIND of abuse?
DRUG AND ALCOHOL abuse.
Put another way:
drug and alcohol abuse = THE ABUSE of drugs and alcohol.
Since drug and alcohol abuse is singular, it cannot serve as the referent for which + PLURAL VERB.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by danielle07 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:36 pm
Why isn't A the correct answer?