Exam Pack confusing CR question Some species of Arctic birds

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740
Some species of Arctic birds are threatened by recent sharp increases in the population of snow geese, which breed in the Arctic and are displacing birds of less vigorous species. Although snow geese are a popular quarry for hunters in the southern regions where they winter, the hunting season ends if and when hunting has reduced the population by five percent, according to official estimates. Clearly, dropping this restriction would allow the other species to recover.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument?

(A) Hunting limits for snow geese were imposed many years ago in response to a sharp decline in the population of snow geese.
(B) It has been many years since the restriction led to the hunting season for snow geese being closed earlier than the scheduled date.
(C) The number of snow geese taken by hunters each year has grown every year for several years.
(D) As their population has increased, snow geese have recolonized wintering grounds that they had not used for several seasons.
(E) In the snow goose's winter habitats, the goose faces no significant natural predation.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:31 am
I choose C, but the OA is B, something that I could not accept how.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:28 am
richachampion wrote:I choose C, but the OA is B, something that I could not accept how.
Boiled way down the argument is as follows:

- The snow geese displace other Arctic birds.
- There is currently a law that ends hunting season once the snow geese population is decreased by 5%.
- Conclusion: If we eliminate the law, the displaced Arctic bird species will recover

The built-in assumption here is that by eliminating the law, hunters will kill more snow geese. But if they'd been killing less than 5% of the snow geese each season, then eliminating the restriction won't matter. It's only relevant if hunters wish to kill more than 5% of the population. If they'd been killing, say, 1% of the population before the restriction is lifted, there's every reason to believe that they'd continue to kill 1% of the population. This is the idea captured by B, the correct answer.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course