How do we approach this problem?
Thanks in advance
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 13.54.50.png

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:37 am
The range for a list of measurements equals the greatest measurement minus the least measurement. The two lists of measurements, X and Y, combined consist of 30 measurements with a range of 25. What is the range for the measurements in list X?

1) The range for the 12 measurements in list Y is 20.

2) List X consists of 18 measurements.
Both statements are satisfied by the following cases:

Case 1:
least in Y = 1, greatest in Y = 21, range for Y = greatest - least = 21-1 = 20.
least in X = 21, greatest in X = 26, range for X = greatest - least = 26-21 = 5.
Since the least value in X and Y is 1, and the greatest value in X and Y is 26, the range for X+Y = 26-1 = 25.
In this case, the range for X = 5.

Case 2:
least in Y = 1, greatest in Y = 21, range for Y = greatest - least = 21-1 = 20.
least in X = 1, greatest in X = 26, range for X = greatest - least = 26-1 = 25.
Since the least value in X and Y is 1, and the greatest value in X and Y is 26, the range for X+Y = 26-1 = 25.
In this case, the range for X = 25.

Since X's range can be different values, the two statements combined are INSUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Krabhay » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:11 pm
Lets say, the least number from the 2 lists is x. Then the biggest number from 2 lists will be (x + 25).
Statement 1: We cannot find the biggest and the smallest measurement in X from the given information. So, we cannot find the range of X. Hence, Insufficient.
Statement 2: No of measurements in list X doesn't alone provide us with the range of X. Hence, Insufficient.
Statement 1 & 2 together: Information given in both the statement doesn't help us in finding the range of X unless we are given that the smallest and the largest number of both the lists lie in X. Hence, Insufficient.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by meenakshimiyer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:19 pm
Let's say, the least number from the 2 lists is x. Then the biggest number from 2 lists will be (x + 25).
Statement 1: We cannot find the biggest and the smallest measurement in X from the given information. So, we cannot find the range of X. Hence, Insufficient.
Statement 2: No of measurements in list X doesn't alone provide us with the range of X. Hence, Insufficient.
Statement 1 & 2 together: Information given in both the statement doesn't help us in finding the range of X unless we are given that the smallest and the largest number of both the lists lie in X. Hence, Insufficient.