This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

Below are the data points from my profile

Female from India, 27 years old
GMAT 690 (Q 50, V32, IR 1, AWA 5)
GPA 3.8 - In top 5 in my class
Work ex - 5+ years in Automobile Manufacturing
Companies : 1. Mercedes Benz India (1 year) - Senior Engg (Current)
2. Mahindra and Mahindra (4 years) - Deputy Manager (Previous)- Indian automobile manufacturing giant
International Work ex - 6 months in Germany
Career Progression : Got promoted in Previous company from Assistant manager to deputy manager
Leadership experiences : Was President of Entrepreneurship club during undergrad, Was press and publicity In-charge of Student representative council of college and some more
Leading a team at previous company and also leading a project at current company
Community work: Worked for Teach India - Gave language lessons to Kids in Orphanage(1year)
Worked with international NGO (educational cause) - 4 years
Worked as a Leader of program launched to teach under privileged children (30 children) - Corporate social responsibility in previous company I worked for.
Foreign language - 1st level German.

I have an option to
retake GMAT (to improve IR and Verbal)in next 15 days so that I could apply this year in round 2 with 30 days left for working on my applications
Vs
Start preparing applications for round 2 (I have only 45 days from now to do so)

I would be grateful to get expert opinion.

Thanks!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by shaheenthobani » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:30 am
My target schools are top 10 US Bschools

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionKate » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:16 pm
Hi there!
Thanks for sharing your info with us...your work experience sounds really interesting, and as a woman coming from manufacturing, I think that should help you stand out. Plus you've been promoted and have some international experience too, so that's great! Your GPA is very strong, and it sounds like you've had some good leadership and involvement in activities, though I'm not sure how recent all of those are.
Given that you are looking at the top programs in the US, and the competitive pool of applicants from India, I think you'd do much better with a slightly higher GMAT. It's certainly not impossible to get accepted with a 690, but crossing that 700 mark would really help your chances. Your verbal score is just below the threshold we like to see (typically a 35). And while the IR is not very heavily weighted, a score of 1 or 0 can be a slight red flag. So I would lean towards giving it one more shot and seeing if can increase the verbal and IR.
30 days for applications is tight, but doable depending on how many schools you plan to apply to. Be strategic about which schools you apply to (go for a range and choose ones with fewer / shorter essays or slightly later deadlines to help spread out the work).
Good luck, and let us know if we can help!