Evaluation for a re-applicant requested

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Evaluation for a re-applicant requested

by ddohnggo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:22 pm
Hi,

I was wondering if I could receive feedback on my current profile as a b-school applicant.

I am reapplying to both NYU Stern and Columbia as well as applying for the first time to UCLA Anderson, Kellogg, and Berkeley for September 2009.

Profile:
- Asian Male
- nearly 5 years of work experience
- 4 years in consulting (1st job)
- 8 months in marketing (present - changed positions after applying last year)
- 3.5/4.0 gpa from a top tier university in CS
- extracurricular activities: i run my own record label since 2005; co-ran recruiting at my old job
- GMAT: 660 - 83% (applied with this score last year)
- excellent recommendations from both employers
- goals: utilize b-school to nurture my entrepreneurial and marketing skill set to run my label full-time

As per my feedback from one of the schools, it was suggested that I apply earlier and try once again to raise my GMAT.

I heeded the school's feedback and I retook the GMAT again for the fourth time in hopes to raise my score (I'm terrible at standardized tests). Unfortunately I scored 10 points lower than my highest score(I received a 660 on my third attempt).

My question is how do I mitigate my 660 GMAT score in my re-application? Although I've followed the school's feedback by retaking the exam (I will also be submitting my application very early), I still feel as though this might be problem since I'm still on the lower end of the 80th percentile for these schools.

In my essays I've been focusing on my growth since my last reapplication through my job and industry transition and how the new position relates better to my long-term goals. Should I consider addressing my GMAT score in an optional essay? Could my diverse background, leadership experience and entrepreneurial endeavors possibly make up for my lower score?

Lastly, should I consider the same approach of focusing on my goals and applying early for the new schools I will be applying to?

I don't think I will gain any value in taking the GMAT for a fifth time considering that there is a possibility I won't raise my score and I don't think taking the exam five times will look all too well from an Adcom perspective.

Thank you for your time.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:34 pm
Hi D,
Thanks for your post.

First of all, you are taking all the right steps toward the reapplication process - getting feedback from AdCom, retaking the GMAT test, tweaking your essay message.

In terms of ReApp schools - AdCom may see your lack of improvement on the GMAT as a redflag that you were unable to improve your candidacy, so it might be difficult to break in this time without significant improvement in other aspects of your application - possibly your new job (although one could argue you haven't been in the position long enough to make a significant impact).

For all other schools, focus on your post-MBA short/long term career and how the MBA will help you achieve your goals. Are you making a clear distinction of how the MBA will help turn your current EC into a profitable venture? Have you considered positioning your career goals to pursing a career in M&E rather than entrepreneurship.

Since this application year is expected to be quite competitive, you should consider broadening your MBA list to include a few 'safety' schools. USC (with its strong M&E program) could be a good fit.

Just a few suggestions. Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ddohnggo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:43 pm
VP_MBA_Guru wrote:Hi D,
Thanks for your post.

First of all, you are taking all the right steps toward the reapplication process - getting feedback from AdCom, retaking the GMAT test, tweaking your essay message.

In terms of ReApp schools - AdCom may see your lack of improvement on the GMAT as a redflag that you were unable to improve your candidacy, so it might be difficult to break in this time without significant improvement in other aspects of your application - possibly your new job (although one could argue you haven't been in the position long enough to make a significant impact).

For all other schools, focus on your post-MBA short/long term career and how the MBA will help you achieve your goals. Are you making a clear distinction of how the MBA will help turn your current EC into a profitable venture? Have you considered positioning your career goals to pursing a career in M&E rather than entrepreneurship.

Since this application year is expected to be quite competitive, you should consider broadening your MBA list to include a few 'safety' schools. USC (with its strong M&E program) could be a good fit.

Just a few suggestions. Good luck!

NP
Thanks for the feedback. It's quite helpful. In terms of what you suggested (bolded above), would it make sense for me to consider retaking the GMAT one last time? I know that it's been mentioned several times that taking the GMAT more than 4 times raises some questions regarding the candidate. Since I identify this as my main pain point, what would be in my best interest to remedy this blemish or should I forget it and try and improve elsewhere in my profile?

Thanks again.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:41 am
Hi D,
I would not recommend retaking the GMAT. As you mentioned, taking the GMAT more than 3 times will raise concern. Instead, focus on other aspects of your application - primarily your essays and fleshing out your post-MBA career goals.

And dont be too discouraged with your GMAT score. While it might be slightly lower than top MBA school averages, it is not a deal breaker.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep