Evaluate the Argument : Economists

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Evaluate the Argument : Economists

by saranshpuri » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:52 am
To save time and money on water and maintenance, many homeowners are opting for the use of synthetic pot plants, instead of real plants, for the decoration of the interiors of their homes. The synthetic plants being sold today are very realistic in their details and often quite beautiful. Since most homeowners welcome ways to reduce expenses, synthetic plants are increasing in popularity. Because of these benefits, homeowners should replace their live indoor plants with synthetic plants.

The answer to which of the following would be most useful in evaluating the argument?

Are synthetic plants replicas of real live plant species, or are they original designs based on common plant forms?
Can the efficiency of the photosynthesis of a live indoor plant be affected by the behavior of humans in its surroundings?

Do homeowners with live plants spend more than 5% of their overall home expenses on the maintenance of such plants?
Are the organic gaseous exchanges of a live plant advantageous to its immediate surrounding environment?
What percentage of homeowners are interested in cutting down the costs associated with general home maintenance?

Answer : D WHY NOT B

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:11 pm
Hi saranshpuri,

This CR is an example of an evaluation question. We'll need to know what the prompt focuses on to properly evaluate it.

The last sentence of the prompt tells us that the BENEFITS of synthetic plants should influence homeowners to replace live indoor plants with synthetic ones. The rest of the prompt tells us that synthetic plants help homeowners to save time and money and that they're beautiful. To evaluate the logic in the prompt, we need to know if there are any BENEFITS from live plants that would influence the homeowners' choices.

Answer D addresses the issue that live plants might be beneficial. Answer B asks how indoor plants may be affected BY human behavior (which has nothing to do with the prompt).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by saranshpuri » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:50 am
Hi Rich,

I understand that D options provide benefits of live plant. But it is nowhere mentioned in the passage that people needs to consider the benefits of live plants for replacing them with Synthetic Plants.
Also it is mentioned that for Homeowners the two crtical factors are Time and Money. If D option affects any of the above factors, then D Options is Right.

On the other hand B options suggests Physical activity might be another reason that could harm the plants irrespective of the type of plants and hence affects maintainence of the Plant.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:30 pm
This is a somewhat unusual question. You're right that the important factors mentioned for homeowners are time and money. One would expect that the right answer should address these, but none of the answer choices do.

So, we need to think about it this way: if the conclusion states that "homeowners should replace" live plants with synthetic ones, is there any possible reason why they shouldn't? Are there any factors besides time and money that homeowners should consider - any benefits of live plants?

D) asks whether live plants are beneficial to humans, by giving off gases.

B) really asks whether humans can affect the plants. This is not the causal relationship we care about, and it doesn't help to determine whether there might be benefit to owning live plants.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:28 am
When I read this stimulus I had to investigate to see if this was how it was really written or if there might have been a typo.

I found this on the Economist GMAT tutor as an example CR question. And the question does indeed say "To save time and money on water and maintenance, many homeowners are opting for the use of synthetic pot plants, instead of real plants, for the decoration of the interiors of their homes."

The actual term is "potted plants." Pot plants is something entirely different. In the United States pot plants will usually get you arrested as this term refers to marijuana.

I say this not to be the grammar police or something, but because as Ceilidh mentions this is a bit or a strange question and the improper word choice sort of adds to that.

EVERY "most useful to know in order to evaluate question" I have ever seen had a correct answer that had some link between the evidence and the conclusion. For this question you could have ignored everything except the conclusion and just picked D. In fact, saranshpuri would have had a better chance at picking D without reading the rest of the stimulus as it discussed expenses and time and water.

As someone who has written plenty of CR questions I know how tough it can be, I am just saying that this one could use a little edit to make it more in line with something that would be seen on the GMAT.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:33 am
Wow, I can't believe I missed "pot plants"! Or maybe I thought that was a transcription error, and not an error in the actual question? It just goes to show - even experts can sometimes miss key details!

But David brings up a great point here - a right answer on an EVALUATE question should connect the given premises to the conclusion. It shouldn't just rely on a piece of real-world logic. Beware of studying from sources that don't use GMAT-like examples.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Followed by:3 members

by Elizabeth@EconomistGMAT » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:28 am
Wow -- what a typo! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. All of our content undergoes a strict peer review process, but mistakes do sneak through. This will be corrected shortly.