Evaluate

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by alekhya615 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:34 am
Why not E?
Help required.

by supi1215 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:19 pm
What if instead of the number in E, it was percentage? Would then E be a better option?

by stephenjmurph » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:18 pm
I picked E... for "helpfulness questions" I thought a good strategy (maybe not?) was to take the extremes and see if that changes the answer.

If only one car has this device installed, that seems to make this argument unclear. If 10,000 are installed, then it's more applicable right?

by maxmayr93 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:48 am
Testluv wrote:Hi heshamelaziry,

this is an evaluate the argument (or relevant information) kind of question. It is a cousin to strengthen/weaken but not quite the same. The answer choices will not list new information; instead, they will raise considerations that the author did not consider.

In these questions, the author's argument is alsmost always suspect, so a little bit of analysis will pay off by enabling you to predict the right answer, thus saving you valuable time, and precluding the need for POE.

Here: The safety device's function is to decrease to nearly zero the risk of the brakes' failing. But the risk of serious injury due to malfunction of the safety device is 1 in 10,000, and yet the author concludes that automobiles are safer with the device than without. But what if the risk of the brakes' failing (in the first place) was 1 in 100,000,000? Does it still seem correct that cars are safer with the device than without?
Hi Testluv,

I absolutely understand your Approach but actually it doesn't make sense to me from a Logical perspective.

Even if it means that due to a low probability of brake related accidents the risk of brake failing reduces to 1 in 100.000.000 it would still make the car safer than before.

But anyway when reading the second and third time answer choice A is the only answer that helps to evaluate the Argument although not 100% straight for me.

Best regards,
Max