EVALUATE MY PROFILE

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

EVALUATE MY PROFILE

by spla626 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:49 am
Hello everybody,

I would like to get my profile evaluated for the following schools: HBS, Stanford, Columbia, MIT and Haas.

I am an European of 30 years old working at a Big 4 (think EY or Deloitte) as a Public Law Lawyer. I have a large experience in tax litigation and have advised companies and individuals in their relations with the authorities. At the same time, I also have intensively advised important City Councils (think of cities such as Barcelona or Marseille) and Regional Governments in many different matters such as designing new taxes (writing the Act), the process of privatizing a public service or reorganizing an existing government organization.

I went to an elite university for the Undergrad in my country and was at the top 10% of the class.

GMAT: 740 (q 49, v 42).

I would like to study a MBA to become a Consultant and advise the public sector from a more economic point of view. Mckinsey, for instance, does have this kind of practice in my country.

I lack of relevant extracurriculars.

Could you please assess my chances at the above mentioned schools.

Thanks in advance.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:08 pm
spla626 wrote:Hello everybody,

I would like to get my profile evaluated for the following schools: HBS, Stanford, Columbia, MIT and Haas.

I am an European of 30 years old working at a Big 4 (think EY or Deloitte) as a Public Law Lawyer. I have a large experience in tax litigation and have advised companies and individuals in their relations with the authorities. At the same time, I also have intensively advised important City Councils (think of cities such as Barcelona or Marseille) and Regional Governments in many different matters such as designing new taxes (writing the Act), the process of privatizing a public service or reorganizing an existing government organization.

I went to an elite university for the Undergrad in my country and was at the top 10% of the class.

GMAT: 740 (q 49, v 42).

I would like to study a MBA to become a Consultant and advise the public sector from a more economic point of view. Mckinsey, for instance, does have this kind of practice in my country.

I lack of relevant extracurriculars.

Could you please assess my chances at the above mentioned schools.

Thanks in advance.
You've got a pretty distinct and strong profile. You definitely can apply to the above mentioned programs but keeping in view the stiff competition, you might want to include another 2-3 "REACH" schools in your kitty. Good Luck and God Bless!
Mansie Dewan

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:50 pm
Hi spla626,

Most of your target schools are right at the top of the spectrum in terms of brand and the competition to get into. No doubt, you've a strong academic profile (top 10%, elite university, and GMAT score), but it is like clearing a hygiene factor as far as these schools are concerned. The academic profile doesn't necessarily push your case.

Your professional profile, though, is distinct. But being distinct alone will not help you much (as far as your target list is concerned). Do you've any distinguishing professional (you've mentioned that you don't have much of relevant extracurriculars) experiences which created solid positive impact for your clients? It will be icing on the cake if these clients happen to be government/ semi-government organizations. If you've these, then you've a case for your target schools.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:22 am
Your GMAT score is excellent as is your class ranking. Which school did you go to and what did you study?
Your profile is competitive for those schools.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:16 am
I agree with Michael - awesome GMAT, great work experience, and a solid work ex list. You're good to go for those programs mate! As a side note, the big 4 do require internal activities usually so you might think you lack "involvement" but things you do for the firm outside of client work count! So don't sell yourself short.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!