Economic v.s. Economical

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Economic v.s. Economical

by amysky_0205 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:30 am
Economic v.s. Economical

Can someone explain the differences and the meaning??

thank u!!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:40 am
"economic" - relating to economy
"economical" - intended to save money
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by pscher31 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 pm
Economic-monetary

Economical-Thrifty/efficient

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:780

by Diego R. » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:02 pm
Economic = Relating to money
Economical = Efficient

Example:

My decision to drive a hybrid car was motivated by ECONOMIC considerations. (This person was thinking about the money or the savings from money when he bought the car).

ECONOMICAL considerations motivated my decision to drive a hybrid car. (This person thought about the efficiency of buying the car. It may have been fuel-saving, time-saving, etc)
Best Regards,

Follow me on Twitter @GmatTeacher

by AmyTan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:58 pm
Diego R. wrote:Economic = Relating to money
Economical = Efficient

Example:

My decision to drive a hybrid car was motivated by ECONOMIC considerations. (This person was thinking about the money or the savings from money when he bought the car).

ECONOMICAL considerations motivated my decision to drive a hybrid car. (This person thought about the efficiency of buying the car. It may have been fuel-saving, time-saving, etc)

The second sentence that u have posted IS INCORRECT USAGE. PLEASE DON'T POST WRONG EXAMPLES IN THE FORUM. ECONOMICAL MEANS EFFICIENT whereas economic is correct.. ECONOMICAL considerations is incorrect..

GMAT Score:780

by Diego R. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:24 am
AmyTan wrote:
Diego R. wrote:Economic = Relating to money
Economical = Efficient

Example:

The second sentence that u have posted IS INCORRECT USAGE. PLEASE DON'T POST WRONG EXAMPLES IN THE FORUM. ECONOMICAL MEANS EFFICIENT whereas economic is correct.. ECONOMICAL considerations is incorrect..

I am sorry to contradict you, but those two sentences are totally meaningful and grammatically correct. Considerations can be economic as much as they can be economical. You probably just missed the definition I gave for "economical". In any case, I am sure others would be interested in seeing you explain why you believe that economical is wrong in that sentence and provide some sort of support for your claim.

Regards,
Best Regards,

Follow me on Twitter @GmatTeacher