Easiest SC question....But I have a question

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570
I know that this is the easiest question. However, I got it wrong this time. Can somebody please help me to understand what 'that' refers to? Source 1000 SC Q # 914

Virtually undisturbed for the last three centuries on their starkly beautiful islands near the edge of the Arctic Circle, the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and a life-style that bring warmth to their harsh environment.

(A) the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and a life-style that bring warmth
(B) the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and a life-style that brings warmth
(C) evolving folkways and a life-style were evolved by the Lofotens inhabitants to bring warmth
(D) evolving folkways and a life-style brought warmth to the Lofotens' inhabitants as well as
(E) warmth-bringing folkways and life-styles have been evolved by the inhabitants of the Lofotens

OA A

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by deepak_free » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:31 pm
reply2spg
Please do not discourage me and many more like me by saying that this is the easiest question ........it really shakes confidence of the beginners.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by akahuja143 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:09 pm
Well it has shaken my confidence as well, I chose B over A but still do not understand why a is right and b is wrong.The only difference below is bring and brings and the relative pronoun that refers to life style which is singular so the verb should be singular as well brings... can some one explain where I am going wrong?

(A) the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and a life-style that bring warmth

(B) the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and a life-style that brings warmth

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:54 pm
Same here.. i chose B over A

folkways and a life-style should be plural... so bring should be used....

Any Experts to comment ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:17 pm
nervesofsteel wrote:Same here.. i chose B over A

folkways and a life-style should be plural... so bring should be used....

Any Experts to comment ?
@nervesofSteel...

U are correct.
folkways and a life-style should be plural... so bring should be used....Agreed!!

by sanyalpritish » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:37 pm
Well to explain AO-A according to me,

You should always see the Verb and find out what it is referring to in Very tricky questions the Verb may be referring to a singular noun in that case you would need a "Brings" rather than "Bring",

So lets try and do it for this Bring refers to "have evolved folkways and a life-style that" Hence it has to be Plural.

And there not one but 100's I know who scored 410 and went onto score 700+, The exam is about patterns. noting else sooner you realize easier it gets.

Legendary Member

by reply2spg » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:53 am
I think now this question is becoming harder. But believe me this is comparatively easy question.

Still I didn't get answer to my question. What 'that' refers to? As per relative pronoun rule 'that' or 'which' should refer to the immediate preceding noun. If that is the case then B should be correct over A. However, I think here 'that' refers to both 'evolved folkways and a life-style', but I don't understand how to find out the same?

Experts Fibbo, Ron, Stacy, Machoman, Testluv somebody please help me out to get out with this confusion.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by gmat_perfect » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:04 am
Virtually undisturbed for the last three centuries on their starkly beautiful islands near the edge of the Arctic Circle, the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and a life-style that bring warmth to their harsh environment.

(C) evolving folkways and a life-style were evolved by the Lofotens inhabitants to bring warmth
(D) evolving folkways and a life-style brought warmth to the Lofotens' inhabitants as well as
(E) warmth-bringing folkways and life-styles have been evolved by the inhabitants of the Lofotens

Some Grammar:

1. I love X and Y that are my favorite dishes.

"X and Y" has been used as a single unit, but the that refers to the whole of "X and Y". So, after that the verb should be plural.
=> This eliminates B.
2. The openinig modifier "virtually undisturbed" should modify the noun of the next clause, and it is surely the inhabitants.
=> It eliminates C, D, and E.

Answer: A

Legendary Member

by reply2spg » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:57 am
Thanks Perfect....I will call you expert going forward. :)
gmat_perfect wrote:Virtually undisturbed for the last three centuries on their starkly beautiful islands near the edge of the Arctic Circle, the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and a life-style that bring warmth to their harsh environment.

Some Grammar:

1. I love X and Y that are my favorite dishes.

"X and Y" has been used as a single unit, but the that refers to the whole of "X and Y". So, after that the verb should be plural.
=> This eliminates B.
2. The openinig modifier "virtually undisturbed" should modify the noun of the next clause, and it is surely the inhabitants.
=> It eliminates C, D, and E.

Answer: A

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by must82 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:41 am

I think A but wanted to be sure about my logic, Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

If the sentence means the "a life style that brings warmth" "a life-style that bring warmth" part would precede the "folkways" and the better sentence would be:
"the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolked a life style that brings warmth and folkways"

Therefore we can assume subject is 'folkways and a life style" and verb should be plural...

I just wanted to sure if this approach is correct and can work in other similar questions. Thanks in advance...

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:05 am
reply2spg wrote:I know that this is the easiest question. However, I got it wrong this time. Can somebody please help me to understand what 'that' refers to? Source 1000 SC Q # 914

OA A
When a sentence begins with a modifying phrase, ask yourself who or what the phrase is modifying:

Who or what is virtually undisturbed? The inhabitants. So the noun inhabitants must come after the introductory phrase. Eliminate C, D, and E.

Whenever you see a verb, ask yourself who or what is performing the action of the verb:

Who or what is bringing warmth to the environment? The folkways and the lifestyle. Since this is a plural subject, the verb bring has to be plural: the folkways and the lifestyle bring warmth. Eliminate B because in B the verb brings is singular.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Score:700

by samarpan_bschool » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:47 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
reply2spg wrote:I know that this is the easiest question. However, I got it wrong this time. Can somebody please help me to understand what 'that' refers to? Source 1000 SC Q # 914

OA A
When a sentence begins with a modifying phrase, ask yourself who or what the phrase is modifying:

Who or what is virtually undisturbed? The inhabitants. So the noun inhabitants must come after the introductory phrase. Eliminate C, D, and E.

Whenever you see a verb, ask yourself who or what is performing the action of the verb:

Who or what is bringing warmth to the environment? The folkways and the lifestyle. Since this is a plural subject, the verb bring has to be plural: the folkways and the lifestyle bring warmth. Eliminate B because in B the verb brings is singular.

The correct answer is A.
Hi Mitch, Thanks for your clarification. What if i were to assume that only 'lifestyle brings warmth to their environment' ? In that case i will have to use a 'singular verb' after 'that'. What is your take on this question? Do we see such ambuiguity in real GMAT ?

Looking forward to your comments!