Dumb Questions?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Dumb Questions?

by mtvmty » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:08 am
My questions may sound dumb but I need an answer to these to clear every doubt.

I want to know:
one needs to show financial statement to get the Visa, Right?
how students with an average financial background cope up with additional requirements like this?
Loans are available only for tution fee, right?
How students manage to cope up with living expenses?
Is there part-time jobs available there?
how many hours can you work in a week?
are part-time jobs region specific?
what kind of other problems student face there?

Please suggest.
Practice is all I need.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:40 am
Hi MTV,
Thanks for your post! See my answers below (I didnt understand some of your questions)

Regards,

NP

one needs to show financial statement to get the Visa, Right?
* Sorry, dont understand your question.

how students with an average financial background cope up with additional requirements like this?
* I am not sure I understand your question - if you are asking about how students pay for the MBA (tuition and living expensive), most students take out student loans - both government (only to US students) and private loans - and will tap into their savings.

Loans are available only for tution fee, right?
* NO - usually the financial aide package includes a provision for living expenses. The amount is adjusted for cost of living (i.e. NYC vs Ann Arbor). This amount is usually a few hundred/thousand dollars a month - to cover room, board, meals, other expenses.

How students manage to cope up with living expenses?
* See above. In addition to student loans, many students also tap into their savings to enjoy the benefits of not working and having a new social network (i.e. travel, activities with classmates, drinking!)

Is there part-time jobs available there?
* Yes, but most MBA students (at least my experience with top MBA programs) dont work - other than teaching assistant positions or consulting gigs with local companies, which can help a little. You will be making six figures in no time - why not enjoy the freedom you have!!! ;)

how many hours can you work in a week?
* Not sure - but I wouldn't recommend a job that doesn't contribute to your career or learning (i.e. working in the cafeteria)

are part-time jobs region specific?
* Not sure about part-time jobs. I would contact the school directly to find out more.

what kind of other problems student face there?
* Sorry, dont understand your question.
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mtvmty » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:00 am
Once I clear the application process and interview, what are the requirements for student Visa.

I have heard that we need to show One year Tution Fee in our account in order to get the student Visa. Is it true?

I mean if I get admission in a school of my choice, would I get any problem to get the student Visa?

mtvmty
Practice is all I need.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:03 am
Sorry MTV, I am not too familiar with the student Visa process. I would urge you to contact the schools directly. They will be able to answer your visa-related questions.

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep