Duke Fuqua MMS: reviews + right for me?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Duke Fuqua MMS: reviews + right for me?

by hopes33 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:10 pm
Hi there, this is my first post. Exciting.

I've read other reviews of Duke's Fuqua MMS Program (not the certificate, but the actual program-- important distinction), and am eager for further opinions. More importantly, I'm wondering if it's right for me. Any thoughts appreciated. : )

PROFILE:
--Graduated '09 from an Ivy, liberal arts degree
--Worked at a non-profit for under a year, rest of the time did internships, took a couple post-bacs in Econ, and have a current teaching assistantship abroad. Obviously in professional limbo.
--Have long wanted to explore different sectors of business/finance (marketing or consulting), but am not sure where to start

SPECIFIC CONCERNS:
--I already have a great alumni network, but my work experience is lacking. I want to narrow my focus, and work in the private sector in NY. I'm not sure if the jobs I could get through school connections could be as lucrative/promising of upward mobility as those i could get after MMS?
--Is the 60k price tag of MMS going to give me an adequate ROI?
--I see that some people get hired to consult straight out of the program. But I'm not sure if that's heavily influenced by their econ/engineering background prior to MMS. Could MMS make me an attractive candidate for consulting firms or i-banking?
--Most people matriculate in MMS straight out of undergrad, it seems, and rave about MMS's focus on networking skills. This sounds great, but is that the majority of the program's value?

Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:690

by Abhyank » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:18 pm
Hey hope,

This response is pretty late, but I hope you decided to go with the Duke MMS program as there is a pretty good ROI. However, this response could prove useful for other candidates. You can check out the employment statistics here: https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/mba_recruitin ... tatistics/

1) If you feel that your existing school connections aren't promising of upward mobility, then the MMS could be the right program for you. Duke's alumni network is vast and you will have numerous opportunities to network while you're at the MMS.
With regards to work experience, the MMS program looks for candidates with lesser work experience. So you're good on this front.
2) Like I said, the ROI should be adequate, depending on what you define as adequate. You can certainly check out the employment statistics report to get an idea as to what the returns are going to be like.
3) Although your background plays a part in your admission into corporates of your choice, keep in mind that what you've accomplished at the MMS plays a bigger role in defining your profile when you sit for interviews. Hence, if you already have an idea as to what you want to do, then you could definitely force your way into the industry of your choice. Find the right faculty and the right alumni, and you could find yourself with the right set of skills and connections to thrive successfully in your industry.
4) The primary reason why most people rave about MMS's focus on networking skills is because of the vast network they have. Graduates are taught to realize the importance of making connections in the early stages of the program and they are heavily influenced by the people they meet and admire the alumni for where they have ended up. Having said that, Fuqua is one of the most respectable schools in the US when it comes to Management and is one of the very few schools to offer a Masters in Management. So obviously, the program's value extends well beyond that of just networking skills. The faculty is amazing and the atmosphere is enriching but at the end of the day, your networking is what puts you out there for potential employers.
Hope I've addressed some of the concerns you have. If you'd like to know more about the MMS program, I suggest checking out this page:
https://www.mim-essay.com/duke-mms-review.html
Abhyank Srinet
Founder and Head Consultant at MiM-Essay.com

97% Success Rate| 7000+ Admits in Top Schools| 10 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 3X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here:
https://www.mim-essay.com/book-an-appoi ... rm/?btgmat