Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

DS Geometry

This topic has 5 expert replies and 2 member replies
scottchapman Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
18 messages
Target GMAT Score:
DS Geometry Post Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:44 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    If L & W represent the length and width, respectively, of the rectangle above, what is the perimeter?

1). 2L+W=40
    2). L+W=25

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    Post Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:51 am
    scottchapman wrote:
    If L & W represent the length and width, respectively, of the rectangle above, what is the perimeter?

1). 2L+W=40
    2). L+W=25
    Perimeter of a rectangle with length L and width W = L+L+W+W = 2L + 2W = 2(L+W).
    Question stem, rephrased:
    What is L+W?

Statement 1: 2L + W = 40
    Thus, W = 40 - 2L.

Case 1: L=10, implying that W = 40 - 2*10 = 20.
    In this case, L+W = 10+20 = 30.

Case 2: L=15, implying that W = 40 - 2*15 = 10.
    In this case, L+W = 15+10 = 25.

Since L+W can be different values, INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: L+W = 25
    SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is B.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    Post Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:53 am
    scottchapman wrote:

1). 2L + W = 40
    2). L + W = 25
    Target question: What is the perimeter?
    This is a great candidate for REPHRASING the target question.

Aside: We have a free video with tips on rephrasing the target question: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency?id=1100

If L and W represent the rectangle's length and width, then the perimeter = 2L + 2W.
    So, we can REPHRASE the target question as...

REPHRASED target question: What is the value of 2L + 2W?

This statement does not FEEL sufficient to answer the rephrased target question. So, I'm going to PLUG IN numbers.
    There are several values of L and W that satisfy statement 1. Here are two:
    Case a: L = 5 and W = 30, in which case 2L + 2W = 70
    Case b: L = 10 and W = 20, in which case 2L + 2W = 60
    Since we cannot answer the REPHRASED target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Aside: For more on this idea of plugging in values when a statement doesn't feel sufficient, you can read my article: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/articles/data-sufficiency-when-plug-values

Statement 2: L + W = 25
    If we take this equation and multiply both sides by 2, we get: 2L + 2W = 50
    PERFECT - we have answered the REPHRASED target question!
    Since we can answer the REPHRASED target question with certainty, statement 2 is SUFFICIENT

Answer = B

Cheers,
    Brent

Enter our contest to win a free course.

GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!

Top Member

Marty Murray GMAT Titan
    Posted:
    2028 messages
    Followed by:
    122 members
    GMAT Score:
    Most Responsive Member
    Post Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:10 pm
    Scott, this is a good example of a C trap question.

C trap questions are set up to get the test taker thinking that both statements are needed to get to the answer.

In this case, one could be thinking this way. "To calculate the perimeter, I need the length and width."

That thinking might even seem somehow confirmed after working on Statement 1, which allows for multiple values of L and W.

So then you might jump to Statement 2 and find that once again you can't determine the value of L or W.

At that point maybe you notice that you can subtract Statement 2 from Statement 1 and easily calculate the values of L and W. "Ahhhh," you think. "The answer is C."

The thing is that that combining of the statements is not necessary. You don't actually need the values of L and W because P = (L + W) + (L + W). So as soon as you have L + W = 25 you are set. So Statement 2 is sufficient and the answer is B.

If you didn't see that and instead chose C, then you fell into a C trap.

So there's one thing to be aware of in order to do better on DS.

http://infinitemindprep.com/
    In Person in the New York Area and Online Worldwide

scottchapman Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    18 messages
    Target GMAT Score:
    Post Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:57 pm
    Thank you all for your responses. I struggle with DS and I think part of the reason for it is not rewording the question effectively. It makes sense after I see you guys go through the steps, but for whatever reason, I continue to make the same errors. I'm assuming I just need more practice...

Post Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:32 pm
    scottchapman wrote:
    Thank you all for your responses. I struggle with DS and I think part of the reason for it is not rewording the question effectively. It makes sense after I see you guys go through the steps, but for whatever reason, I continue to make the same errors. I'm assuming I just need more practice...
    EVERYONE struggles with Data Sufficiency (DS) questions at first. Keep in mind that this question type is unique to the GMAT, so it's totally foreign territory.

It just takes time for the concepts and strategies to become secondary, at which point you may come to find that DS questions are actually easier than Problem Solving questions.

I could start listing dozens of DS strategies and common mistakes, but it's easier to just direct you to our free set of videos that cover everything you need to know to tackle DS questions: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency

Cheers,
    Brent

Enter our contest to win a free course.

GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
    Post Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:43 am
    scottchapman wrote:
    The geometry problem above is a VALUE DS: a DS whose question stem asks for a specific value.
    One way to evaluate the statements -- and to avoid falling for a trap -- is to TEST TWO CASES.
    If the desired value is THE SAME in each case, the statement is SUFFICIENT.
    If the desired value is NOT the same in each case, the statement is INSUFFICIENT.

Quote:

1). 2L + W = 40
    2). L + W = 25
    Case 1: L=10, W=20, with the result that 2L + W = 2*10 + 20 = 40
    The following rectangle is yielded:

Case 2: L=5, W=30, with the result that 2L + W = 2*5 + 30 = 40

Since the perimeter is NOT the same in each case, INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: L+W = 25
    Case 3: L=10, W=15

Case 4: L=5, W=20

Since the perimeter is THE SAME in each case, SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is B.

One advantage to this approach:
    It does not require any special insight.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Matt@VeritasPrep GMAT Instructor
    Posted:
    2040 messages
    Followed by:
    106 members
    Target GMAT Score:
    V51
    GMAT Score:
    Most Active Expert Most Responsive Expert Most Thanked Expert
    Post Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:43 am
    scottchapman wrote:
    You'll definitely get there. Once you get the hang of the format, you may find yourself scoring higher on DS than on PS, even if the questions seem hard. DS is MUCH more guessable than PS, so you can get away with a lot of inspiring guesswork / trial and error / risk intelligence, as opposed to PS where you often need to know the math in question.

Veritas Prep Reviews
    and save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!

Best Conversation Starters

1 aditiniyer 26 topics
    2 Mo2men 13 topics
    3 rsarashi 11 topics
    4 neha shekhawat 9 topics
    5 Anaira Mitch 8 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

112 posts
    2 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

108 posts
    3 image description Matt@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

81 posts
    4 image description DavidG@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

79 posts
    5 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

73 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts