DS-3

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

DS-3

by abhasjha » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:20 am
During a one-day sale, a store sold each sweater of a certain type for $30 more than the store's cost to purchase each sweater. How many of these sweaters were sold during the sale?

(1) During the sale, the total revenue from the sale of these sweaters was $270.

(2) During the sale, the store sold each of these sweaters at a price that was 50 percent greater than the store's cost to purchase each sweater.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:00 pm
abhasjha wrote:During a one-day sale, a store sold each sweater of a certain type for $30 more than the store's cost to purchase each sweater. How many of these sweaters were sold during the sale?

(1) During the sale, the total revenue from the sale of these sweaters was $270.

(2) During the sale, the store sold each of these sweaters at a price that was 50 percent greater than the store's cost to purchase each sweater.
Statement 1:
Case 1: 1 sweater is sold
In this case, the selling price of the sweater = 270.
Since the markup = 30, the cost price of the sweater = 270-30 = 240.

Case 1: 2 sweaters are sold
In this case, the selling price of each sweater = 270/2 = 135.
Since the markup = 30, the cost price of each sweater = 135-30 = 105.

Since the number of sweaters sold can be different values, INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2:
Since the $30 markup is 1/2 the cost of each sweater, the cost of each sweater = 60.
Thus, the selling price of each sweater = 60+30 = 90.
No way to determine how many sweaters were sold.

Statements combined:
Since the total revenue = 270 and the selling price of each sweater = 90, the number of sweaters sold = 270/90 = 3.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3