Doubts

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Doubts

by bobs21 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:08 am
Hi guys:

Have a couple of doubts...please share your thoughts!

1) Potential for/to : I think the usage of 'potential for' is grammatically correct...how about 'potential to'? I mean is the following sentence correct: 'He has the potential to be the best player in the team'

2) Plucked this one out of the Manhattan Review notes: 'She recommended that John take the ferry'. Thats the correct sentence. Now I know ' She recommended that John should take the ferry' sounds incorrect but I'm not exactly sure why. Why exactly does the inclusion of 'should' make the sentence incorrect?

3) Finally can someone give some color on when 'regarded as' is to be used and whether 'regarded to be' is correct or not?

Many thanks!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by gtest » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:21 pm
1) I think "potential to" is also grammatically correct. Usage:

I think the PlayStation Eye has the potential to be completely amazing

2) Usage of "Should" is inappropriate in recommendation;

3) "Regarded as" is the correct usage; "consider to be" is the correct usage;

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

Re: Doubts

by mayonnai5e » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:40 pm
bobs21 wrote:Hi guys:

Have a couple of doubts...please share your thoughts!

1) Potential for/to : I think the usage of 'potential for' is grammatically correct...how about 'potential to'? I mean is the following sentence correct: 'He has the potential to be the best player in the team'

2) Plucked this one out of the Manhattan Review notes: 'She recommended that John take the ferry'. Thats the correct sentence. Now I know ' She recommended that John should take the ferry' sounds incorrect but I'm not exactly sure why. Why exactly does the inclusion of 'should' make the sentence incorrect?

3) Finally can someone give some color on when 'regarded as' is to be used and whether 'regarded to be' is correct or not?

Many thanks!
A little more detail:
1) Potential for - used with a noun --> he has the potential for great things in this future
Potential to - used with a verb --> he has the potential to be a great leader

2) Gtest is correct - should and recommend are redundant.

3) Same as 1:
Regarded as - used with a noun --> he is regarded as the greatest investor of our time
Consider to be - used with a verb --> it is considered to be the greatest of Van Gogh's works.