doubt SC 7

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt SC 7

by aditya8062 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:39 am
Because of the multiplier effect inherent in any unlimited-transaction economy, the spending of one dollar typically generates several times the gross income in such an economy than in a single- or limited-transaction economy.

A)typically generates several times the gross income in such an economy than
B)typically generates several times the gross income in such an economy than it would
C)typically generates several times as much gross income in such an economy as though
D)in such an economy typically generates several times as much gross income as the spending of one dollar would
E)in such an economy typically generates several times the gross income than

my concern: i want to understand the ellipses in the proclaimed answer D. IS the ellipses in D as follow: Because of the multiplier effect inherent in any unlimited-transaction economy, the spending of one dollar in such an economy typically generates several times as much gross income as the spending of one dollar would [GENERATE] in a single- or limited-transaction economy.------------> HOW can we take the word "GENERATE" in ellipses when it is not mentioned in the previous clause?
i will be grateful if i can be guided to some official problems that illustrate the above principal of ellipses

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:47 am
aditya8062 wrote:HOW can we take the word "GENERATE" in ellipses when it is not mentioned in the previous clause?
Ellipsis is the omission of words whose presence is understood.

Generally, a verb form that is omitted should appear earlier in the sentence.
For the purpose of ellipsis, the singular and plural versions of the basic form of a verb -- runs and run, sings and sing, generates and generate -- are considered the same verb form.
Mary runs faster than her sisters.
Implied comparison:
Mary runs faster than her sisters [run].
The verb in brackets is omitted, but its presence is implied.
Since runs and run are considered the same verb form, this ellipsis is correct.

The spending of one dollar typically generates several times as much gross income in such an economy as the spending of one dollar would in a single- or limited-transaction economy.
Implied comparison:
The spending of one dollar typically generates several times as much gross income in such an economy as the spending of one dollar would [generate] in a single- or limited-transaction economy.
The verb in brackets is omitted, but its presence is implied.
Since generates and generate are considered the same verb form, the ellipsis here seems ok.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:23 am
Not able to understand this. Can I get a thorough explanation please ?

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:55 am
Hi Verbal Experts (Mitch/Brent/Dave/others) - could you please provide your detail analysis and explanation for this question ?

Look forward to hear from you.

P.S: Any idea, whether this is an official question or not ?
Last edited by RBBmba@2014 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kutlee » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:14 am
Here the comparison is between generation of income by the spending of one dollar in two economies.

A)typically generates several times the gross income in such an economy THAN
Here the comparison is correct. But the ellipsis after THAN is quite not clear.
B)typically generates several times the gross income in such an economy than it would
Here IT can refer to the Dollar. Dollar is not generating anything. The spending is.
C)typically generates several times as much gross income in such an economy as though
AS THOUGH is incorrect
D)in such an economy typically generates several times as much gross income as the spending of one dollar would
D clears the air states that the spending is generating revenue.
Reworded sentence of A. IF A is wrong then this should also be wrong. Anyways not better than D.

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:19 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hi Verbal Experts (Mitch/Brent/Dave/others) - could you please provide your detail analysis and explanation for this question ?

Look forward to hear from you.

P.S: Any idea, whether this is an official question or not ?
Haven't heard back from any Verbal Experts on this tough question. Would much appreciate if Experts chime in to share their analysis.

Looking forward to hear from you...

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:10 am
Because of the multiplier effect inherent in any unlimited-transaction economy, the spending of one dollar typically generates several times the gross income in such an economy than in a single- or limited-transaction economy.

A)typically generates several times the gross income in such an economy than
"several times... than" is idiomatically incorrect. (You could write "several times more than." )
Eliminate A, B, and E.

In C we have "several times as much gross income in such an economy as though in a single- or limited-transaction economy."
This is incoherent because of "though." The sentence is trying to communicate that the multiplier effect is more powerful in an unlimited transaction economy than in a limited transaction economy. C makes it sound like the spending in a limited-transaction economy is "as though" this spending were in an unlimited transaction economy. That makes no sense. Eliminate C.

You're left with D. (Note the idiomatically correct, "as much x as."
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:40 am
Thanks Dave for your analysis.

Just one quick question - I was MOSTLY confused between D & E. Option E earlier appeared to be better to me because of would in Option D.

Isn't use of would bit awkward here in D ? As the first entity in COMPARISON uses SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE whereas the second entity uses FUTURE PAST, how does the CHANGE in TENSE fit well here ?

Could you please shed some light on the above aspect ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:30 pm
RBBmba@2014 wrote: Isn't use of would bit awkward here in D ? As the first entity in COMPARISON uses SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE whereas the second entity uses FUTURE PAST, how does the CHANGE in TENSE fit well here ?

Could you please shed some light on the above aspect ?
One purpose of would is to express an action that is HYPOTHETICAL.
Because of the multiplier effect inherent in any unlimited-transaction economy, the spending of one dollar in such an economy typically generates several times as much gross income as the spending of one dollar would [generate] in a single- or limited-transaction economy.
Here, the word in brackets is omitted, but its presence is implied.
The usage of would generate is appropriate because the action in the red clause is HYPOTHETICAL.
Conveyed meaning:
If the one dollar were spent in a single-transaction economy, it WOULD GENERATE less income.

For a similar usage of would in the OG12, check here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-12-41-would-t167138.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3