doubt CR

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt CR

by aditya8062 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:21 pm
The Northeast region of the United States has a climate that is unique at the latitude. For example, Burlington, Vermont is at 44 degrees north latitude, the same latitude as Southern France. Southern France has a typical mid-temperate zone climate characterized by warm, dry summers and cool winters with only occasional snowfall. Yet Burlington's climate is similar to that of Anchorage, Alaska and Helsinki, Finland, each or which are located about 1000 miles further north.

Which of the following, if true, best helps to resolve the apparent discrepancy discussed above?

A)The warm waters of the Mediterranean Ocean influence the weather of Southern France, especially the French Riviera.
B)The circulation of air around low pressure centers generally brings cold northern air to the western side of the low pressure.
C)Altitude influences climate as much as does latitude and Burlington, Anchorage, and Helsinki are all less than 200 feet above sea level.
D)The atmospheric jet stream moving across North America is diverted, by the Rocky Mountains, far to the south, bringing arctic Canadian air to the northeastern United States.
E)The Western region of the contiguous United States has a stable climate dominated by the cold waters of the Pacific Ocean.

my concern: i can understand that D is the answer but i am not able to eliminate A

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:14 pm
Hi aditya8062,

While Answer A might seem tempting (as it explains why Southern France has its warmer weather), the prompt isn't focused on Southern France - it's focused on the Northeast region of the United States and how IT is unique. The correct answer has to address the issue of the Northeast region, but answer A doesn't address it at all.

Answer D explains WHY the Northeast region has weather similar to areas that are far north of it.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:56 am
aditya8062 wrote:i am not able to eliminate A
From the passage:
Southern France has a TYPICAL mid-temperate zone climate.
Answer choice A:
The warm waters of the Mediterranean Ocean influence the weather of Southern France, especially the French Riviera.
Answer choice A implies that Southern France is affected by a SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCE -- its proximity to the Mediterranean Ocean -- contradicting the premise that the weather in Southern France is TYPICAL of a mid-temperate zone climate.
Since A contradicts the passage, eliminate A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kantamaneni38 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:54 am
Hi Guru,

How can we omit "C"?