Doubt CR 1

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Doubt CR 1

by aditya8062 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:37 am
A rare disease, malicitis, is being diagnosed with increasing frequency. The number of cases reported this year is more than double the number reported four years ago. The government should now allocate more funds for treatment and prevention of malicitis.

All of the following, if true, would weaken the conclusion except

A. funds already available for research in malicitis are currently under-utilized
B. a new test employed for the first time this year detects malicitis at a considerably earlier stage in the development of the disease
C. the number of cases reported this year represents the same fraction of the population as reported in all of the last five years
D. a committee of experts reviewed the funding four years ago
E. a private foundation has committed sufficient funds to cover treatment and prevention needs as well as research for the next five years

my concern: i want to understand as how C weakens the argument? option C states that percentage of people who have been affected by this disease has remained same. this implies that if the The number of cases reported this year is more than double the number reported four years ago THEN all we know for sure is that POPULATION of this town might have increased. but how does it prevent us from increasing the funding ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:33 am
aditya8062 wrote:my concern: i want to understand as how C weakens the argument? option C states that percentage of people who have been affected by this disease has remained same. this implies that if the The number of cases reported this year is more than double the number reported four years ago THEN all we know for sure is that POPULATION of this town might have increased. but how does it prevent us from increasing the funding ?
Generally, to allocate means to distribute a fraction of the total amount.

Conclusion: The government should now allocate more funds for the treatment and prevention of malicitis.
In other words, the government should devote a greater fraction of its total budget to the treatment and prevention of malicitis.

C: The number of cases reported this year represents the same fraction of the population as reported in all of the last five years.
Here, the same fraction of the total population is contracting malicitis, WEAKENING the conclusion that a greater fraction of the total budget should be allocated for the treatment and prevention of malicitis.
Eliminate C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:48 am
Thanks guru
Here, the same fraction of the total population is contracting malicitis, WEAKENING the conclusion that a greater fraction of the total budget should be allocated for the treatment and prevention of malicitis
lets say that the "same fraction" is 10 % of the total population .now it is said in the premise that "The number of cases reported this year is more than double the number reported four years ago."
lets say we have following figures:
in 2014: population is 400
case reported: 40
in 2010: population =90
cases reported: 18

i feel if i invest more money in this situation then there is a possibility that i might reduce this disease, after all more money will buy more medicine and may be i might bring in more doctors to cure this disease