Dolphin Whales

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri May 15, 2009 8:15 am
I'd be happy to comment on this new question, but the question text needs to be posted on this site. We can't post on a question that's only shown by link because the link could break eventually and make it hard for future readers to see the original problem. Feel free to copy and paste the text and I'll respond (if you open a new post, though, then send the URL of the new post to me via PM).

Re: the modifiers in general question, I don't know of any specific links off of the top of my head - I find it tough to keep track of the thousands of posts here... :) But the forum does have a search feature, so try doing a search for the term "modifiers" and see what comes up. You could even search for that term plus the name of one of the experts here to try to find modifier questions on which the experts have commented.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Fri May 15, 2009 8:50 am
Thanks Stacey. Below is the question. Kindly tell how "growing" in "B" and "C" is modifying the subject of the preceding clause. Why not the entire previous clause ? or is it modifying the entire previous clause.

The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is famous for its aggressive hunting pods.

A. include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is
B. include the animal known as the killer whale, growing as big as 30 feet long and
C. include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being
D. include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow as big as 30 feet long and is
E. include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and it is

Thanks
Mohit

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Fri May 15, 2009 9:18 am
This is the same question posted at the beginning of this thread - sorry, I thought you wanted to post a new question. I guess you were just linking to someone else's explanation?

In my first comment on this question (see above), I indicated that the "growing" modifier does indeed modify the entire preceding clause. (Though, in this case, incorrectly. It doesn't make sense logically for this modifier to modify the entire preceding clause. What does make sense is for the modifier to modify "killer whale" - which is why the correct answer uses "which" instead of "growing.") It is not the case that a "comma -ing" modifier modifies only the preceding subject.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:32 am
Thanks Stacey.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by valleeny » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:31 am
Hi Stacey

How do you explain the "which can grow to be" phrase in A? I found "to be" awkward so totally discarded the answer.

This question is also from GMAT Prep and yes. Answer D, E are actually "includes" instead of "include.

Legendary Member

by mmslf75 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:51 am
valleeny wrote:Hi Stacey

How do you explain the "which can grow to be" phrase in A? I found "to be" awkward so totally discarded the answer.

This question is also from GMAT Prep and yes. Answer D, E are actually "includes" instead of "include.
which can grow to be" correctly captures information about the WHALE

include the animal known as the killer whale , which can grow to be 30 feet long and is ..

WHICH refers to WHALE

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:48 pm
mms is right - a whale can grow to be a certain length just as a human can grow to be a certain height. I agree that it sounds a bit awkward - but that doesn't automatically make it wrong. If I give you four grammatically incorrect answers and one grammatically correct but awkward-sounding answer... guess which one's right? :)

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:29 pm
Note: this is why it is CRITICALLY important to double-check your transcription when you are entering a problem. Answers D and E were not transcribed correctly above - and in a way that obviously makes a big difference to our ability to answer the question!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

by Kajiabeat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Stacey Koprince wrote:A "comma -ing" setup is an adverbial modifier, not a noun modifier. Generally speaking, a "comma -ing" set up will modify the full meaning of the preceding clause, which includes the subject, the verb, and (if present) the object! So does it make sense that "the 32 species include the killer whale" should be modified by "can grow to be 30 feet long?"

Hi Stacey!

about the above mentioned rule of "comma-ing", does it be strictly followed in GMAT? I just met another 2 SC problems which confused me on this. The answers for the following 2 question both choose the "comma ing" form though that modifier shouldn't modify the whole preceding clause but just a noun.

First One:
The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check's authenticity, which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while holding the check to the light.

which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view

which include reminders for watching the endorsement, to compare signatures and view

by including reminders for watching the endorsement, comparing signatures, and viewing

including reminders to watch the endorsement, comparing signatures and viewing

including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view

Second one:
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are

Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are

Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are

Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be

Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is

Thank you very much!

by shweta.kalra » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:14 pm
The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is famous for its aggressive hunting pods.

A. include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is
B. include the animal known as the killer whale, growing as big as 30 feet long and
C. include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being
D. include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow as big as 30 feet long and is
E. include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and it is
PLZ EXPLAIN OPTION "A" and "D".
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "grow to be 30 feet long " AND "as big as 30 feet long ".
THANKS

by hi.itz.mani » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:42 am
Kajiabeat wrote:
Stacey Koprince wrote:A "comma -ing" setup is an adverbial modifier, not a noun modifier. Generally speaking, a "comma -ing" set up will modify the full meaning of the preceding clause, which includes the subject, the verb, and (if present) the object! So does it make sense that "the 32 species include the killer whale" should be modified by "can grow to be 30 feet long?"

Hi Stacey!

about the above mentioned rule of "comma-ing", does it be strictly followed in GMAT? I just met another 2 SC problems which confused me on this. The answers for the following 2 question both choose the "comma ing" form though that modifier shouldn't modify the whole preceding clause but just a noun.

First One:
The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check's authenticity, which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while holding the check to the light.

which includes reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view

which include reminders for watching the endorsement, to compare signatures and view

by including reminders for watching the endorsement, comparing signatures, and viewing

including reminders to watch the endorsement, comparing signatures and viewing

including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view

Second one:
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are

Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are

Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are

Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be

Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is

Thank you very much!

For the First one

wHICH INCLUDES ....... is modifying check's authenticity which is wrong.

I won't go with the "by including option" as after check's authenticity there is a comma and in case of by including these comma should not be there

These leaves me with last two options, out of which I will go for the last option based on parallelism.

For Second one

now viewing the economy...... is modifying MANY FINANCIAL EXPERTS BELIEVE....
So option 1 and 2 are gone , leaving us with last 3 out which last option can be striked out as it uses which instead of who. Now between third and fourth
I will go for third option reason
1. Concise :)
2 (main reason)... in the original sentence "are" means that will do something now ..... while in fourth we are saying they will do something in future... which changes the original sense of the sentence.

Thanks!
-Mani

by Kajiabeat » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:13 am
Hi,Mani,

Thank you for sharing your understanding.
However my question actually doesn't lie in discussing which one is the answer or how to pick out the right one but in why the right answer seems disobeying the rule that Stacey said.

Do you have any idea about that?

btw, OA about this 2 questions are E,A.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:49 am
goelmohit2002 wrote:Hi All,

Can somebody please help me understand what does "growing" in "B" and "C" modifying ? The OA is "A" and is amongst the best. But can somebody please help me in clearing the doubt of mine ?

Thanks
Mohit
Quickest approach:

In B and C, it is unclear exactly what is growing. If we can't tell what a modifier is modifying, we should eliminate the answer choice. Eliminate B and C.

In D, which can grow as big as 30 feet is incorrect. The word as is used to compare actions. The whale is performing an action -- it can grow -- but what action is being performed by the 30 feet? Eliminate D.

The only difference between A and E is that E includes the pronoun it, which is not needed. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is A.

By the way, I respectfully disagree with what has been said about the function of an "comma -ing" modifier at the end of a sentence. An -ing word functions not as an adverb but as an adjective, and an adjective must modify a noun:

John entered the room, carrying a big bag of cookies.

In the sentence above, carrying a big bag of cookies is an adjective modifying the noun John. Since we know who is carrying -- John is carrying -- the sentence is correct.

The problem with growing in B and C above is that we don't know who or what is growing.

It must always be clear what noun is performing the action of an -ing word. If you can't determine who or what is performing the action of an -ing word, eliminate the answer choice.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by Kajiabeat » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:42 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: By the way, I respectfully disagree with what has been said about the function of an "comma -ing" modifier at the end of a sentence. An -ing word functions not as an adverb but as an adjective, and an adjective must modify a noun:

In the sentence above, carrying is a adjective modifying John. Since we know who is carrying -- John is carrying -- the sentence is correct.

The problem with growing in B and C above is that we don't know who or what is growing.

It must always be clear what noun is performing the action of an -ing word. If you can't determine who or what is performing the action of an -ing word, eliminate the answer choice.
hi,Mitch!

Thank you very much for the explanation.

Well, however, I'm still not very clear about my query. Your pointed out that the "ing"modifier was an adjective which modified a noun. However, I've seen lots of sentences in GMAT SC problems in which the "ing" modifiers do modify the whole preceding clause(or say, it's more reasonable to perceive that they are modifying the whole preceding clauses but not just the Subject or Object). yes, at the same time , the SUBJECT of the preceding clause should be the agent of the -ING action.

For example:In the mid-1970's, birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce automobile emissions.

In this sentence, it's not the birds but the whole situation of"birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways," prompt the officials, right?

Also for your example about John, I think it's also reasonable to consider that the "carrying...." is modifying the whole preceding clause ,expressing an action simultaneous with the action in main clause. (and I also agree to see this modifier to directly modify John. Both ways seem OK in this sentence)

However, in the other 2 SC problems I showed above, both-way-understandings can't work out , those ing modifier should definitely not modifying the preceding clause but some exact word.

So, I'm considering that ,as we have seen the ing-modifiers play a role either of an adjective or an adverb, we can't come to the conclusion that "ing modifier" should modify the whole preceding clause,thus we cannot use this as a rule to kick out some choices.

Am I right?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:28 am
Kajiabeat wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: By the way, I respectfully disagree with what has been said about the function of an "comma -ing" modifier at the end of a sentence. An -ing word functions not as an adverb but as an adjective, and an adjective must modify a noun:

In the sentence above, carrying is a adjective modifying John. Since we know who is carrying -- John is carrying -- the sentence is correct.

hi,Mitch!

Thank you very much for the explanation.

Well, however, I'm still not very clear about my query. Your pointed out that the "ing"modifier was an adjective which modified a noun. However, I've seen lots of sentences in GMAT SC problems in which the "ing" modifiers do modify the whole preceding clause(or say, it's more reasonable to perceive that they are modifying the whole preceding clauses but not just the Subject or Object). yes, at the same time , the SUBJECT of the preceding clause should be the agent of the -ING action.

For example:In the mid-1970's, birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce automobile emissions.

In this sentence, it's not the birds but the whole situation of"birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways," prompt the officials, right?

Also for your example about John, I think it's also reasonable to consider that the "carrying...." is modifying the whole preceding clause ,expressing an action simultaneous with the action in main clause. (and I also agree to see this modifier to directly modify John. Both ways seem OK in this sentence)

However, in the other 2 SC problems I showed above, both-way-understandings can't work out , those ing modifier should definitely not modifying the preceding clause but some exact word.

So, I'm considering that ,as we have seen the ing-modifiers play a role either of an adjective or an adverb, we can't come to the conclusion that "ing modifier" should modify the whole preceding clause,thus we cannot use this as a rule to kick out some choices.

Am I right?
I would argue that prompting is an adjective modifying the noun birds; the birds are doing the prompting. How did they do the prompting? By falling from the sky. (To prompt means to incite, to cause an action to happen.)

As far as I know, only an absolute phrase can modify an entire clause:

Mary entered the room, her eyes shining brightly.

The phrase her eyes shining brightly modifies the entire clause Mary entered the room. The phrase tells us in what context Mary entered the room. But within the absolute phrase, the -ing word shining is an adjective modifying the noun eyes: her eyes were shining.

I stand by my previous post: it should be clear who or what is performing the action of an -ing word that is acting as a modifier. If you can't tell what a modifier is modifying, eliminate the answer choice. I've seen quite a few official GMAT SCs, and I can't think of a single correct answer choice in which it's not clear who or what is performing the action of an -ing word that is functioning as a modifier.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3