Does a startup experience matter in MBA admissions

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
Hi,

I have taken GMAT twice with highest score 640 :-(. I applied this year to top 50 schools but didnt get an admit and am planning to retake GMAT but may be after an year.

I am neary 4 years experienced in Telecom Field in India and these 4 years have been in MNC's but now I am getting a oppurtunity to join a startup firm which will work on latest technology like 3G & 4G. I have one question i,e does the experience of a startup firm counts more while applying for MBA Admissions or is it just the brand names which matter's in the end.

I would be thankful if my doubt can be cleared.

Regards
Aspirant2011

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:40 am
At the end of the day its always the quality of the experience that matters. Starting up a new firm is ofcourse very difficult experience, but that does not mean, B-Schools will disregard your pivotal role in cutting edge technology and bringing new business. Moreover while applying you should look at your own profile and how do you want to shape it up in the long run. If you are interested in starting on your own firm then you would need to justify how an MBA is going to help.
Work hard and stay focussed! Wish you all the best!
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:31 am
I am not opening my own firm but I am getting an oppurtunity from a new startup company to work on new telecom technologies like 3G & 4G in India with little of a management flavour ...................................will the experience of a startup be more counted during MBA admission or does the brand name of a company matters during admission................

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:38 am
A startup is good, a big brandname is also good. But the main thing that impacts is the quality of your experience.

If you still feel confused keep one thing in mind, Many big decisons in life are often taken by a gut feeling.
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:10 am
Hi aspirant2011,

I agree with arora007. MBA programs are looking for candidates who have made a difference and who have shown a history of excellence. Excellence can come from experience at larger firms or at startups. You should not pursue a larger company or a startup based on the impact it will have on an MBA program.

I hope this was of help.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:56 pm
Hi Stacy,

Thanks for your response but tell me one thing that even though I do good technical work i.e work on latest technologies then that work won't put an negative impact on the chances of my admissions to B school???? I gave interviews to few B schools in US but one common question which was asked to me was that "how many member team are you currently handling and am I holding a Managerial Post"...................

Please clear my doubt on this also...............

Regards
Aspirant2011

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Stacy Blackman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:47 am
Hi aspirant2011,

Working on the latest technologies will not have a negative impact on your application. With regards to managing others, business schools do like to see a history of managing and leading others.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Best,

Stacy Blackman
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:55 am
Hi Stacy,

Thanks a lot for your response. Guide me one thing that currently I am holding a designation of Deputy Manager with no direct team under me and work assigned to me is not so great i.e MIS reporting but in the startup I am getting a designation as Assistant Manager and there would be few member team which would be under my guidance and the work would be of good quality but more on the technical side.

According to you keeping my MBA dream in Mind should i accept the offer from a startup and go for good technical work??????? Would Business schools prefer my startup experience compared to the current work experience.

Regards
Aspirant2011

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Stacy Blackman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:15 am
Hi Aspirant2011,

I recommend you pursue the position you are more interested in and where you believe you can better contribute. The reason I recommend pursuing the position you are more passionate about is because it is in these positions where people excel, and that is what an MBA admissions team will be looking for.

Every individual is different, which is why there isn't necessarily a correct answer. Every year, employees from startups and larger companies are accepted into top MBA programs.

I hope this was of help.

Best,

Stacy Blackman
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Stacy Blackman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:18 am
Hi Aspirant2011,

We worked with a client who did not have any experience managing others, but she was accepted into both Harvard Business School and the Stanford GSB. You can read about our strategy with her here:

https://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case4/

Best,

Stacy Blackman
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:33 am
Hi Stacy,

Your link is useful. I went through it but I noticed that the applicants had a GMAT score more than 680 (i.e around 720) with foreign exposure under their belly. In my case I have just got 640 in my second attempt also. Should i retake my GMAT again and try to increase my score????

My undergrad and my 10th and 12th education all have been completed at above 80 %. This time I applied to 6 B schools and got rejection from all of them. Few i.e two gave me a call for interview and rest didnt even gave me a call because i was short of their average GMAT score of 680 :-(. Also, I don't have any foreign exposure till date.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gtestprep » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:02 pm
aspirant2011 wrote:Hi Stacy,

Your link is useful. I went through it but I noticed that the applicants had a GMAT score more than 680 (i.e around 720) with foreign exposure under their belly. In my case I have just got 640 in my second attempt also. Should i retake my GMAT again and try to increase my score????

My undergrad and my 10th and 12th education all have been completed at above 80 %. This time I applied to 6 B schools and got rejection from all of them. Few i.e two gave me a call for interview and rest didnt even gave me a call because i was short of their average GMAT score of 680 :-(. Also, I don't have any foreign exposure till date.
Here's my take on what you have to say:

1. Statistically speaking, your GMAT score appears to be on the lower side of the typical score-curve of the applicant pool to the top schools. As a general rule, adcoms want to know whether you can cope with the academic rigor of the program. To that effect, adcoms look at the GMAT score and undergrad GPA as a indicator of that ability. Say, for example, you're applying to Sloan (which is known to be quantitatively intense,) then a 80+ percentile on the Quant section would be competitive, but having a lower score does not necessarily mean that you're out of the race. Some people are just not good at taking tests, maybe you're one of them. If you think that's the case, then retaking the GMAT might not possibly give you the boost you're looking for. So what do you? Focus on taking a course in statistics or quantitative finance and demonstrate your abilitiy to excel in it. Also make sure that you talk about it in one of your essays :-)

On the other hand, if you're convinced that retaking the GMAT is the way to go, make sure you identify your weaknesses and work on them to the best of your abilities. Taking the test more than thrice might not be viewed favorably by the adcom (especially, if the score differential is not substantial.)

2. About the work experience part, like Stacy and arora007 mentioned in the previous posts, it's all about the quality. Objectively speaking, it helps if you're a code ninja at Google versus a nondescript start-up. Why do I say that? Well, look at it this way: if the general perception is that Google hires the best talent, then working for Google means that you're good at what you do. However, that does not mean that working for an unknown start-up is a less favorable thing; it just means that you have more work to do in terms of articulating your experience and projecting it effectively though the resume and essays. Bottomline: don't base your career choices around the MBA admissions process - that would be wasting an opportunity to project yourself as a unique applicant and stand out of the crowd. In fact, I totally agree with Stacy - working on something that you enjoy often increases your chances of excelling at your job (and that makes for great story!)

On a side note, you should consider reading "Made to Stick" and the "Purple Cow" - they're great resources to help you market yourself.

Hope this helps :-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ssbsag » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:30 am
Dear Stacy/Arora007,

I am currently working in India & plan to give the GMAT probably in Oct-Nov-2011.I know the GMAT score is a pre-requisite for admission but Iam a bit confused about my job.I guess while seeking admission, the profile & the co. your working in matters a lot.

Iam presently into product marketing(Executive) in the Power industry with an Indian MNC since the last 2 yrs.But due to some issues in my current job, Iam looking for a job change.I have two opportunities-1)As a Senior Sales engineer in a reputed company which is part of an 11 billion dollar group, 2)As an Asst Manager-Business Development in a 310 million dollar upcoming and growing firm into power contracting services.Both profiles are of interest to me.(Both firms's are headquatered in India)

Maybe Iam getting a bit paranoid and thinking about the future too much,but from what I know,the job you have before an MBA does have an impact on the job you get after it.I want to make a career move to Finance/consultancy after an MBA.Kindly guide may as to which career path I should choose & how it will help me post my MBA?

Looking forward to your reponse,

Thanks a lot!
Regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:01 pm
aspirant2011,

Which business schools are you looking to attend? When looking at a GMAT score, it is important to not only look at the average score, but also the 80% score range. As an example, the average GMAT score at Chicago Booth may be a bit over a 700, but the 80% score range is from 660 to 760. What this means is that if you scored a 660, you would be at the 10th percentile in your application, which is not where you necessarily want to be.

This does not mean you cannot be accepted, but the rest of your application needs to be particularly strong.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:04 pm
Hi ssbsag,

If you want to pursue finance/consulting post-business school but do not have any experience in that area, then I recommend you receive work experience in that particular field. The field may end up being one that you don't want to enter, or you may absolutely love the work. What is important is that you experience what it is like in the industry.

This will help you not only in the application process, but it will also improve your overall MBA experience.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me