Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Doctor

by Ubiquitous » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:52 am
Hello there.

Here is my story:
27/Male/Indian
Qualifications : MBBS, MD Psychiatry
Work Experience : 4 years
Languages : 5 (Hindi, English, Punjabi, Kannada, Marathi)

I went to a private medical college in North India for my MBBS, where I was an average student, and then joined a prestigious college for my MD in Psychiatry in the south of India. I am currently in my final year and will be finishing it in April 2015. There has been no gap in my college education and post grad. All post graduate medical courses in India require the resident to work in either a government hospital, or a charitable/free hospital set up by a private college. Besides this, our department also organises a monthly visit to a destitute home nearby where we go and treat patients for free. In addition to this, to mark the 50th anniversary of my college, in 2013, the University had organised free health camps all over North Karnataka every sunday for the entire year, which I attended once every month. I have also done an original 1 year research during my residency.

I am working with a team of residents and consultants, so I am pretty well versed with team work and also have a fair idea of how hierarchy in an organisation works, since I have worked from being an intern to now being the senior most post graduate resident in my department. I have also taken several teaching classes for undergraduate medical students, and presented in excess of 20 seminars in the course of my residency.

As regards my leadership experiences, I was a house captain in junior school. Also, my family owns a hospital where I am a director, but I am not actively involved in the management of the hospital. But my most significant leadership role was as a lead singer for 4 years in my school choir where I pretty much picked who sung what.

I have learnt Indian Classical music for 5 years, and also won 2 singing competitions in school before I was 10 years old. I have also been a long time outdoor sports enthusiast and have played many sports including lawn tennis, squash, badminton, pool, ping pong, swimming, though only for leisure. In addition, I am widely traveled in India and abroad and embrace different cultures.

As with most doctors in India, I was coaxed into pursuing medicine even though I did not want to do it. I have always dreamt of being a food entrepreneur. But, since I had joined medicine, I was committed to completing my entire course before thinking about anything else since I am not in the habit of leaving things midway. I was an excellent grade A student in high school, and the sole reason for my average grades at med school was the fact the I had absolutely no inclination towards medicine. In fact, I worked extremely hard and managed to pass the course without failing a single exam, which is a massive achievement in my books. I have also dreamt of working at wall street for a long, long time. So, my honest answer to why I want an MBA is, I'm done with my career in medicine. I want to do something I love. I understand that that may not go down well with the Adcoms, and I may have to present a different story.

Getting a 720+ doesn't worry me too much. I have been through hell in academics, and the GMAT prep is very doable, and even if it takes more time to prepare, I know that I will get that score. I am planning to take the GMAT sometime in the first week of August next year, and apply in the early action round. My #1 choice is Tuck. I believe I will be a perfect fit for that school since my experience in Psychiatry lends me very sharp interpersonal skills, and also because I am a team player. Also, Tuck's emphasis on sports also drew me to that school.

My other choice B schools are Harvard, Wharton, Columbia, Stanford, Chicago Booth.

Simple question, do I have a shot at B school?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:08 pm
Hi Ubiquitous,

Thank you for your post!

The short answer is: yes. However, there are some factors you will want to consider to improve your chances.

Your background will be considered non-traditional. Adcoms often fear that untraditional applicants will lack the quantitative or managerial skills needed to succeed in an MBA program and beyond. So, you will need to assure them of these abilities in your application. Also, most MBA applicants have amassed 4-5 years of full-time work experience; while you noted some mixed in with your medical education, the adcom may still look for more formal work experience. In other words, you will need to present your work experience in a polished fashion.

While it's great that you were so involved in high school, the adcom will be more interested in your achievements and community involvement since joining college. So, you will want to consider your leadership since then (for instance, you should use the coming months to get more involved as director of the family hospital if only to get more notable managerial experience). Also, given your interest in the food industry, it would certainly bolster your application to demonstrate some active, related passion. It's understandable that you are ready to pursue what you love, but keep in mind that you will want to present your medical education in a positive light, drawing on how the experience has prepared you for business. You will also assure the adcom that you are committed to this path by, as I mentioned above, pursuing the passion now.

Finally, 720+ is a good target for the GMAT. Good luck!

When you are ready to discuss your candidacy further, please contact us directly at: https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.