Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by aftableo2006 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:42 am
IMO A ME ALSO SATISFIED WITH THE EXPLANATION

by subhashghosh » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:58 am
The answer is A.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by prashant misra » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:40 am
my official answer is A.i was confused between A and E and earlier chose e but later A as it sounds more better and wordier to me.

Followed by:2 members

by parul9 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:28 am

Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

by saketk » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:46 am
Ah! I took 1.5 mins to answer this one but got it correct.

I was down to A and E at the end. Subjunctive mood came as a savior and removed the 'S' from 'Provides'. Eliminated option E.

Ans -OPTION A

Followed by:1 members

by bpdulog » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:08 am
I went with A, although it looks like A and E are similar in the original post.
NO EXCUSES

"Winston tastes good like a cigarette should."

Followed by:3 members

by immaculatesahai » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:52 am
The Russian government, in response to the actions of an American adoptive mother who sent her adopted son back to Russia, may demand that an American adoptive parent provide his or her child with an environment that preserves the child's Russian language and culture; some argue that such actions could sacrifice children's lives to a phantom national interest.

(A) may demand that an American adoptive parent provide his or her child with an environment that preserves the child's Russian language and culture; some argue that such actions could sacrifice children's lives to a phantom national interest. Best option.

(B) may demand an American adoptive parent provide his or her child with an environment that preserves the child's Russian language and culture; some argue that such actions could sacrifice children's lives to a phantom national interest. In subjunctive, specially after words such as "demand", "mandate" "require"... "that" is necessary

(C) may demand that an American adoptive parent provide his or her child with an environment that preserves the child's Russian language and culture, and actions could sacrifice children's lives to a phantom national interest. Successive part of the sentence is ungrammatical

(D) may demand that an American adoptive parent provide his or her child with an environment that preserves the child's Russian language and culture; actions that could sacrifice children's lives to a phantom national interest. The successive clause is not independent, semi colon is incorrectly used

(E) may demand that an American adoptive parent provides his or her child with an environment that preserves the child's Russian language and culture; some argue that such actions could sacrifice children's lives to a phantom national interest.
The sentence is of subjunctive mood... "provides" should be "provide"

GMAT Score:590

by eccentric » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:01 am
I have been caught off-guard completely; I pretty confidently chose E over A; not able to quiet clearly understand the explanation..I am unable to decipher the error, in fact quiet clearly i see subject verb disagreement in A.

by ArunangsuSahu » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:53 pm
(A)
may demand that---subjunctive....;some....

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:16 am
The Russian government, in response to the actions of an American adoptive mother who sent her adopted son back to Russia, may demand that an American adoptive parent provide his or her child with an environment that preserves the child's Russian language and culture; some argue that such actions could sacrifice children's lives to a phantom national interest.

(A) may demand that an American adoptive parent provide his or her child with an environment that preserves the child's Russian language and culture; some argue that such actions could sacrifice children's lives to a phantom national interest.

(B) may demand an American adoptive parent provide his or her child with an environment that preserves the child's Russian language and culture; some argue that such actions could sacrifice children's lives to a phantom national interest.

(C) may demand that an American adoptive parent provide his or her child with an environment that preserves the child's Russian language and culture, and actions could sacrifice children's lives to a phantom national interest.

(D) may demand that an American adoptive parent provide his or her child with an environment that preserves the child's Russian language and culture; actions that could sacrifice children's lives to a phantom national interest.

(E) may demand that an American adoptive parent provides his or her child with an environment that preserves the child's Russian language and culture; some argue that such actions could sacrifice children's lives to a phantom national interest.

Undoubtedly A is the best out of the 5 answer choices...

You require to understand the subjunctive for this sentence.

Option D changes the meaning of the sentence...

hope this helps!!!
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by dario.brignone » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:45 am
In option C) there's a comma before "and". Can we consider it an error?

by shubhamkumar » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:59 pm
eccentric wrote:I have been caught off-guard completely; I pretty confidently chose E over A; not able to quiet clearly understand the explanation..I am unable to decipher the error, in fact quiet clearly i see subject verb disagreement in A.
:arrow: This thread has an expert explanation which should help.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/subjunctive- ... tml#396410

by Ganesh hatwar » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:55 am
A... It took 3 reading to understand the difference between A and E

by chris558 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:13 am
Answer is def A. Also satisfied with the explaination provided.