Disequilibrium at the interface of water and air....

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by mankey » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:09 am
Can some expert please respond to this one?

Thanks
Mankey

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by abcgmat » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:26 pm
IMO
1.B
2.A
3.E
4.C

But the official answer is
B,A,E,A
Can someone explain q4, I could not eliminate others answers except D , it was tough for me and what is the Level of this question. Is this RC 700 level

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:12 am
For GENERAL questions, match the language in the answer choice back to the passage.
1. This passage principally intends to:

B: attempt a description of a phenomenon.
The passage describes the phenomenon of disequilibrium.
The correct answer is B.

For SPECIFIC questions, provide A LINE REFERENCE.
2. The wind over the ocean usually does which of the following according to the given passage?

II. Maintains a steady rate of heat and moisture transfer between the ocean and the air.
No. From the passage: As the speed of wind increases, so does the turbulence, and consequently the rate of heat and moisture transfer.
Thus, the rate is NOT steady.
The correct answer cannot include II.

1. I only
2. II only
3. I and II only
4. II and III only
5. I, II, and III
Eliminate B, C, D and E.
The correct answer is A.

3. According to the author, the present knowledge regarding heat and moisture transfer from the ocean to air is:

E: incomplete.
From the passage: We can arrive at a detailed understanding of this phenomenon after further study.
The correct answer is E.

4. According to the given passage, in case the wind was to decrease until there was no wind at all, which of the following would occur?

A: The air which is closest to the ocean surface would get saturated with water vapor.
From the passage:
The air within about a millimeter of the water is almost SATURATED with water vapor.
The disequilibrium is maintained by air near the surface mixing with air higher up, which is LOWER IN WATER content.
The turbulence, which takes its energy FROM THE WIND, mixes the air.

Thus, no wind = no mixing with higher air = more saturation with water vapor from the ocean.
The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by abcgmat » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:48 am
Hi GmatguruNy,

Thank you answering the query. For Q4

1. The air, which is closest to the ocean surface would get saturated with water vapor.
2. The water would be cooler than the air closest to the ocean surface.
--The temp of air closest to the surface water is same as air in water with in millimeter
'The air within about a millimeter of the water is almost saturated with water vapor and the temperature of the air is close to that of the surface water.'

3. There would be a decrease in the amount of moisture in the air closest to the ocean surface.

'The air within about a millimeter of the water is almost saturated with water vapor and the temperature of the air is close to that of the surface water. '

4. There would be an increase in the rate of heat and moisture transfer.
' As the speed of wind increases, so does the turbulence, and consequently the rate of heat and moisture transfer'

5. The temperature of the air closest to the ocean and that of the air higher up would be the same.
'disequilibrium is maintained by air near the surface mixing with air higher up, which is typically appreciably cooler and lower in water vapor content'

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:44 am
abcgmat wrote:Hi GmatguruNy,

1. The air, which is closest to the ocean surface would get saturated with water vapor.
--The temp of air closest to the surface water is same as air in water with in millimeter
'The air within about a millimeter of the water is almost saturated with water vapor and the temperature of the air is close to that of the surface water.'

3. There would be a decrease in the amount of moisture in the air closest to the ocean surface.

'The air within about a millimeter of the water is almost saturated with water vapor and the temperature of the air is close to that of the surface water. '

' As the speed of wind increases, so does the turbulence, and consequently the rate of heat and moisture transfer'

5. The temperature of the air closest to the ocean and that of the air higher up would be the same.
'disequilibrium is maintained by air near the surface mixing with air higher up, which is typically appreciably cooler and lower in water vapor content'
Using POE:

No lines in the passage indicate that, absent the wind, the water would be COOLER than the air.
Without the wind to maintain the disequilibrium, the temperature of the water and that of the air might very well be the same.
Eliminate B.

Without the wind, the air higher up -- which is LOWER in water vapor -- would not mix with the air closest to the ocean surface.
Thus, we would expect an INCREASE in the amount of moisture in the air closest to the ocean surface.
Eliminate C.

From the passage: As the speed of wind INCREASES, so does...the rate of heat and moisture transfer.
Thus, without the wind, there would be a DECREASE in the rate of heat and moisture transfer.
Eliminate D.

From the passage: ...air higher up, which is typically appreciably COOLER.
By mixing the air, the wind brings the temperature of the air nearest the ocean surface CLOSER to that of the air higher up.
Without the wind, we would expect the difference between the temperatures to INCREASE, contradicting answer choice E.
Eliminate E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by mehrasa » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:52 am
to me:
1) b
2) a
3) e
4) a

I think the OA is also the same

Followed by:2 members

by parul9 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:17 am
I got B B E E
Duh! :(

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by immaculatesahai » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:51 am
I got B B E A.

2nd one is incorred. Didnt catch it.

Nice passage. Looks short at first, but skimming/rushing would be a bad strategy. Atleast for non natives.

by ArunangsuSahu » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:43 pm
Clearly
1)B-- The passage tries to describe a phenomena
2)A-- Clearly mentioned in the passage for the mechanism of the Heat Transfer
3)E-- Mentioned that needs further study
D)A-- The passage tells the whole mechanism takes place with the increase of the wind-turbulence.
So If the wind decreases ten there will not be any water vapor transfers between layers of the air and
The air layer near the water surface will be saturated with water vapor

These are the answer explanations

by happymanocha » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:49 pm
IMO:

1 - B
Author describes the phenomenon of how heat and moisture transfers from the surface of water to air higher up.

2 - A
Wind transfers the heat and moisture from the surface of water, which is usually filled with moisture, to air higher above. I am hoping dry in A does not mean no moisture rather less moisture.

3 - E
We can arrive at a detailed understanding of this phenomenon after further study.

4 - A

C,D and E are totally opposite. I removed B because as per the passage water and air will have the same temperature at the surface.

Please share the OA.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bhanu marwaha » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:21 am
Any one has OA or source of passage

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by singhmanj » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:56 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Using POE:

No lines in the passage indicate that, absent the wind, the water would be COOLER than the air.
Without the wind to maintain the disequilibrium, the temperature of the water and that of the air might very well be the same.
Eliminate B.

Without the wind, the air higher up -- which is LOWER in water vapor -- would not mix with the air closest to the ocean surface.
Thus, we would expect an INCREASE in the amount of moisture in the air closest to the ocean surface.
Eliminate C.

From the passage: As the speed of wind INCREASES, so does...the rate of heat and moisture transfer.
Thus, without the wind, there would be a DECREASE in the rate of heat and moisture transfer.
Eliminate D.

By mixing the air, the wind brings the temperature of the air nearest the ocean surface CLOSER to that of the air higher up.
Without the wind, we would expect the difference between the temperatures to INCREASE, contradicting answer choice E.
Eliminate E.
Great use of POE. Specially in case of question 2 as POE helps to eliminate 4 incorrect answers in a second.

by ritind » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:20 pm
OA IS

1 - B
2 - A
3 - E
4 - A

You can verify the answer at this link
https://www.bestsamplequestions.com/mcat ... ing-1.html

by rajeshsinghgmat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:41 pm
1) 2

2) 3

3) 5

4) 5

by rajeshsinghgmat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:07 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Using POE:

Eliminate B.

Eliminate C.

Eliminate D.

Eliminate E.

The air, which is closest to the ocean surface is always saturated with water vapor whether there is wind or not.

Is the answer choice framed correctly ?

Dont you think it should read, --"The air, which is closest to the ocean surface would remain saturated with water vapor."