Disequilibrium at the interface of water and air......

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Disequilibrium at the interface of water and air is a factor on which the transfer of heat and water vapor from the ocean to the air depends. The air within about a millimeter of the water is almost saturated with water vapor and the temperature of the air is close to that of the surface water. Irrespective of how small these differences might be, they are crucial, and the disequilibrium is maintained by air near the surface mixing with air higher up, which is typically appreciably cooler and lower in water vapor content. The turbulence, which takes its energy from the wind mixes the air. As the speed of wind increases, so does the turbulence, and consequently the rate of heat and moisture transfer. We can arrive at a detailed understanding of this phenomenon after further study. The transfer of momentum from wind to water, which occurs when waves are formed is an interacting-and complicated phenomenon. When waves are made by the wind, it transfers important amounts of energy-energy, which is consequently not available for the production of turbulence.

1. This passage principally intends to:
A. resolve a controversy
B. attempt a description of a phenomenon
C. sketch a theory
D. reinforce certain research findings
E. tabulate various observations

2. The wind over the ocean usually does which of the following according to the given passage?
I. Leads to cool, dry air coming in proximity with the ocean surface.
II. Maintains a steady rate of heat and moisture transfer between the ocean and the air.
III. Results in frequent changes in the ocean surface temperature.
A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

3. According to the author the present knowledge regarding heat and moisture transfer from the ocean to air as
A. revolutionary
B. inconsequential
C. outdated
D. derivative
E. incomplete

4. According to the given passage, in case the wind was to decrease until there was no wind at all, which of the following would occur?
A. The air, which is closest to the ocean surface would get saturated with water vapor.
B. The water would be cooler than the air closest to the ocean surface.
C. There would be a decrease in the amount of moisture in the air closest to the ocean surface.
D. There would be an increase in the rate of heat and moisture transfer.
E. The temperature of the air closest to the ocean and that of the air higher up would be the same.

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:760

by mj78ind » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:47 pm
Good questions!

1. C - The game was between B and C. He has described a phenomenon, i felt he was trying for the theory. A phenomenon would just be an occurrence but this is more.
2. C
3. E - further research required .........
4. C - torn b/w B and C. Since it mentions about water and temp exchange, think it is closer.

OAs?
Call me 1 - (412) 897 6727 (US) or leave a msg on BTG for GMAT advise / questions.
If you like the solution, check out my debrief at and leave a comment:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/760-done-dea ... 66740.html

Followed by:3 members

by nileshdalvi » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:39 am
IMO, [spoiler]B,A,E,A.
[/spoiler]
@mj78ind: I disagree with your difference between phenomenon and theory. Theory might not necessary turn out to be an action. For example Darwin's theory, not necessarily having occured but contemplated. When you say a phenomenon it does have occured or shall occur multiple times.

Anyways what is the OA?