Director of MBA program emailed me....is this bad?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
So I applied to a school last week, and today the assistant to the director of the program (I believe that is what she is) emailed me asking if I had any questions about their program and wanted to make sure they were clear on what I was pursuing in terms of their program. The director then emailed me tonight and asked if we could chat tomorrow about my career goals and said "my accomplishments are quite impressive."

While reading the email, to me, it felt like when you do one of those evaluations with someone and you lead with a compliment then get to the problem, but I may just be being neurotic here. Is it a good thing to hear from the Director of an MBA program, or maybe they're just going to tell me that type of program isn't for me?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Knitgeek » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:48 am
It could just be that they want to get you know you better. I know that sounds super corny but I know a lot of programs like to have contact with applicants before getting an application (at least that has been my experience, of course I haven't applied to any of the really large programs). Depending on your profile it could be that they have questions if the program you are applying for is the right fit for you, maybe the school offers another program that from their experience would suit your background and goals better.

Either way I don't think a school reaching out to get to know a prospective student better is ever a bad thing. Though you have piqued my interest, you'll have to report back as to what happens! Good luck!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:20 pm
jbeau06 wrote:So I applied to a school last week, and today the assistant to the director of the program (I believe that is what she is) emailed me asking if I had any questions about their program and wanted to make sure they were clear on what I was pursuing in terms of their program. The director then emailed me tonight and asked if we could chat tomorrow about my career goals and said "my accomplishments are quite impressive."

While reading the email, to me, it felt like when you do one of those evaluations with someone and you lead with a compliment then get to the problem, but I may just be being neurotic here. Is it a good thing to hear from the Director of an MBA program, or maybe they're just going to tell me that type of program isn't for me?
Hi Jbeau06- I have 15 yrs on the admissions side- and trust me unless you are hiding some insider trading charges- the director of the program is not going to take the time to tell you not to apply! So assume she is impressed and they are reaching out to get to know you better. I would listen and speak candidly and get some good advice from the exchange. Do let us know how this turns out... we are all on the edge of our seats-- but I truly think this is good news for you!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:29 pm
Thanks for sharing.

Take it as a positive sign. It would be a good chance to show your keen interest in their program.

Look forward to hearing how it went. All the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jbeau06 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:17 am
So it definitely turned out to be a good thing! They haven't mentioned specific details about funding but have brought it up twice so I am thinking I'll be offered an assistantship (not preferable since I work full time and can't leave my job for a program) or a tuition waiver (which would be the best hope). The director even said "We want you here at this school" so I know that's a good sign. I think their wanting me has more to do with my chosen career moreso than my GMAT since I'm an atypical candidate. My GMAT was good and above the school's average score (660, 44 Q, 37 V (40 V the first time), 8 IR and 6 AW) but I don't think that mattered as much.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:01 am
Congratulations! I am not surprised as again the director is more likely to be involved in recruiting candidates she/he really wants. Good luck to you and hope it works out- remember to be humble yet confident!