Diagnostic test before starting with the actual prep

Share feedback about this free GMAT prep guide
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello, I have just begun my prep with the 60 day plan. Due to several personal constraints over the next 2 weeks, It will be difficult for me
to find 4 continuous hours to take the test. I can squeeze in a hour or two at the maximum at a stretch. Would it make a difference if I just got started with the course work instead of waiting on finding that day where I can put in those 4 hours? Or
Should I follow the plan I strict accordance?( test first and then the recommended chapters on a daily basis). Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:56 am
I think there are many great benefits to taking a practice test early in one's studies, in fact I recently wrote an article about it: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2013/05/ ... st-already
So, if it's at all possible, I suggest that you take a practice test at your earliest convenience.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by archu.mohan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:42 am
Thanks for the article. Perfectly makes sense - i would ideally want to take it ASAP but for finding a 4 hour continuos slot. Does the practice test allow for us to pause in between sections and continue after a break, if need be? ( I am a new mom that needs to care for a 4 month old - help will arrive in a couple of weeks but until then I am trying to do my best to start preparation - at least in small chunks). Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:46 am
It has been a while since I took a practice test, but I believe (with about 70% certainty :-)) that you have the option of pausing the test and resuming it later.

Anyone else care to comment?

Cheers,
Brent

by archu.mohan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:08 am
Thank you and yes- I have been able to pause The exam!

by archu.mohan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:55 pm
Hello Brent,
So, after a number of breaks, I finally managed to complete the GMAT prep test 1 today. I ended up with a 470 (Q:32; V:23), which makes me rather nervous. However, I do recognize the following facts:
1) It has been over 10 years since I took a test!
2) I have been away from any kind of work/'thinking' for over 5 months now since I've been busy with my baby.
3) I had a really tough time adhering to the time limits and rushed thru' the last 5-6 questions on both sections and had clearly forgotten several of the basic math techniques.
4) I dint quite have the stamina to continuously focus.

I am scheduled to take the GMAT on 3/25/2014 and will be able to start preparing around 12/20. I do have an engineering background, so I am hoping that this is sufficient time to reach my target of 720+ in 3 months. I should be able to spend 3-4 hours of quality study per day. Is this a realistic goal? I guess I am needing some serious reassurance after this rather shaky initial score!
Thanks!
-me

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:34 am
The 470 is a good STARTING POINT.
Once you take more practice tests later on, you'll be able to gauge your trajectory.
The good thing is that you still have 3 months to prepare.
A 720+ score is not impossible, but it will require a lot of work.

Keep in mind that the GMAT is a test of your math and verbal skills AND it's a test of your test-taking skills (time management, endurance, guessing strategies, etc.). It's quite possible that your current skills are at a much higher level, but your test-taking skills have significantly lowered your score.

If you're interested, we have a free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244

Cheers,
Brent

by archu.mohan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:22 pm
Thank you - that was helpful!