Critical Reasoning Questions

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Critical Reasoning Questions

by danyfeghali » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:41 am
What is the best way to be faster in critical reasoning questions ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:56 am
Hi danyfeghali.

The best way to get faster at answering critical reasoning questions is to develop an eye for what you have to see in order to get to the right answers to them. The more clearly you see what is going in the questions, the more quickly you will get to their answers.

Developing that clear perception takes time.

You can do it by carefully and slowly doing practice questions, taking the time to sort out exactly how they work and doing things like defining why every wrong answer is wrong and every right answer is right. Another thing you can do is to for each of the wrong answers figure out how or why someone might choose, or fall for, that answer. The more clearly you see how and why people choose wrong answers, the more clearly you will see what makes wrong answers wrong.

Another thing to practice is identifying the conclusions of the arguments in the prompts. The better you are at identifying the conclusions, the faster you will get to the correct answers to the questions.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:34 am
Hi danyfeghali,

Critical Reasoning questions, much like every other category on the GMAT, is a consistent and predictable subset of questions on the GMAT. There are patterns in the logic, the questions types and even in the wrong answers to each question. As such, speed should improve as you become more familiar with the question types and the Tactics that you can use to answer them.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:34 pm
danyfeghali wrote:What is the best way to be faster in critical reasoning questions ?
The strategy for CR questions is pretty straightforward:
1. Read the question stem to determine the question type
2. Read the passage (argument) and focus on the required information for **that particular question type**
3. Check all answer choices

So, your strategy will depend solely on the question type. The strategy for each question type can be found in the following videos: I suggest that you focus on one question type at a time. This will allow you to identify the common traps associated with each question type, which will improve you speed.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by danyfeghali » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:17 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hi danyfeghali,

Critical Reasoning questions, much like every other category on the GMAT, is a consistent and predictable subset of questions on the GMAT. There are patterns in the logic, the questions types and even in the wrong answers to each question. As such, speed should improve as you become more familiar with the question types and the Tactics that you can use to answer them.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:

Rich

Hi Rich,

First thank you for your kind reply,
As for your questions below are my answers :

Studies:
I have been studying for 1 month and a half
I have used the Kaplan Book and the official guides for GMAT Review 2017 and the official guide for verbal review 2017
I did not actually do any CAT , but my weaknesses are around the critical reasoning part of the GMAT
Goals:
My goal score is 720
My GMAT test is in 11 days
As soon as i get the score i'm going to apply and if my scores are lower than my goal i'm going to redo the test
I'm applying to the university of Toronto Masters of Management of Innovation
The other masters i'm applying to in Canada do not require the GMAT

Thank you !
Dany

by danyfeghali » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:25 pm
Hello Rich,

Thank you for your kind reply,
As for your answers kindly find below my answers:

Studies:
I have been studying for 1 month and a half
I have used the Kaplan book and the official guides for GMAT and verbal Review
I did not do any CAT till now, but i identified my strengths and weakness (Verbal Critical Reasoning)

Goals:
My goal Score is 720
My GMAT test is in 11 days
As soon as i get my scores i will apply unless my score is less than my goal and still have the time to redo the test
I am applying to the University of Toronto Masters of Management of Innovation

Thank you!
Dany

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:40 am
I did not do any CAT till now
Well, we've got your next step: take an official practice exam: https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/pre ... tware.aspx

Once you're done, dissect those CR questions with a surgeon's precision. For any question you miss, make sure you understand why what you selected was incorrect and ask yourself what it was about the incorrect answer that was tempting. Make some notes to yourself about things to look for in the future. Then hit some practice CR questions, actively looking for the same patterns you'd seen in that exam. Once it feels as though you've become adept at recognizing these patterns, go back and take another test. Then repeat the process with more drills/dissection. Keep reminding yourself that CR questions are about tenacity, logical rigor, and attention to detail. When questions come up, post 'em here.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:56 am
Hi Dany,

Since you have not taken any FULL-LENGTH CATs yet, we don't have a reasonable sense of your current skills, strengths and weaknesses. You've self-defined CR as a 'weak area', but there could be a variety of other areas that you need to improve on. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so considering your score goal (720) and the fact that you've studied for just 1.5 months, you likely still have a lot of work to do before you hit your goal score. This is all meant to say that you should consider pushing back your Test Date (and you would have to make that choice at least 7 full days before your scheduled Exam).

In addition, it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich

by danyfeghali » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:02 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi Dany,

Since you have not taken any FULL-LENGTH CATs yet, we don't have a reasonable sense of your current skills, strengths and weaknesses. You've self-defined CR as a 'weak area', but there could be a variety of other areas that you need to improve on. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so considering your score goal (720) and the fact that you've studied for just 1.5 months, you likely still have a lot of work to do before you hit your goal score. This is all meant to say that you should consider pushing back your Test Date (and you would have to make that choice at least 7 full days before your scheduled Exam).

In addition, it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I have decided not to apply to the university this year, I will apply next year to attend classes beginning in September 2018. Therefore, I will be doing the GMAT a second time but not in the near future as I will give myself more time to study and do a CAT and assess properly my strength and weaknesses.

For the time being, I still have 9 days until my first GMAT attempt. I'm practicing using the official guide for GMAT Review 2017. I'm using GMAT Wiley website to answer the questions on a computer in order to practice reading and timing my self better. Basically, I am practicing all question types, but I did not focus on the integrated reasoning and AWA parts of the GMAT.

Any advises how I can improve my practice in order to get the maximum score possible within the time frame available ?

Thank you!
Dany

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:51 am
Hi Dany,

If your schedule allows you to study for the next couple of months, then it's possible that you could continue to study, take the GMAT and 'lock in' a competitive score now. If that's something that you want to try to pursue, then you should start by paying to push back your current Test Date - in that way, you can save some money (it costs $50 to reschedule, as opposed to $250 to pay to retake the GMAT).

Once you've taken that first CAT, we can use that score result to assess what you should be working on.

Rich

by danyfeghali » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:17 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi Dany,

If your schedule allows you to study for the next couple of months, then it's possible that you could continue to study, take the GMAT and 'lock in' a competitive score now. If that's something that you want to try to pursue, then you should start by paying to push back your current Test Date - in that way, you can save some money (it costs $50 to reschedule, as opposed to $250 to pay to retake the GMAT).

Once you've taken that first CAT, we can use that score result to assess what you should be working on.

Rich
Hi Rich,

I have rescheduled my GMAT exam 3 months, so i'll have more time to study within my work and sports schedule.
When I do a CAT, will you be able to provide a study plan with what to study weekly or daily ? It would be very helpful and I would be very thankful.

Thank you!
Dany

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:27 am
danyfeghali wrote: I have rescheduled my GMAT exam 3 months, so i'll have more time to study within my work and sports schedule.
When I do a CAT, will you be able to provide a study plan with what to study weekly or daily ? It would be very helpful and I would be very thankful.

Thank you!
Dany
Hi Dany,

You might consider signing up for Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide).

Each day, you'll receive an email with a series of learning activities that guide you, step-by-step, from Day 1 to test day. This will ensure that you will cover everything that the GMAT tests.

Here's an outline of all 60 emails: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide-outline

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:37 pm
Hi Dany,

Depending on your score results, you might end up needing a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Before you have to think about any of that though, we need a realistic CAT score result to assess your ability level.

Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:54 am
Hi Danny,

Agreeing with my colleagues. Take a full CAT test if you haven't already.
Since you pushed out your application date, do set up a schedule that works for YOU. Don't be unrealistic about what you'll be able to do each do, but do things that are measurable and you can commit to accomplishing.

Consider your skill sets and what you need to do to improve. I haven't heard why you think CR is a problem or which of the CR types themselves are challenging. Becoming more clear on your needs sets will help you accomplish your goals.

Consider identifying your reading speed and likely needing to do something about it. If you're scoring well on RC, then upping your reading speed means you'll have more time to do the questions you have more challenges with.

The GMAT is a malleable organism - - speed reading, identifying your needs, strengthening your weakest areas, means you're entering the test with more strategy and skill sets. Just like amazing athletes who have skill but no 'game' don't always make it to the top of their field, even though objectively, their still is the best - - Is similar in a lot of other areas, too.

You gotta have game/strategy...and this is all part of it.
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c