Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Creative to Business Role

by ishaashta » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:28 am
My profile:

Indian Female, B.A Mathematics, PGD TV &Video Production
GMAT: Not yet taken. Aiming above 680+. Age :28
I am planning to apply for Full time MBA 2015.

Work Summary:
1. Have been working as a 1st Assistant Director in Advertising 2013-14 (Freelance, Mumbai) handling pre production scheduling and running the shoot floor.

2. Have worked in a TV commercials production company in-house for 3 years, and a well-known feature films production house for another 1 year, both in Assistant Director roles 2008-2012

3. Worked as a trainee copywriter for 1 year with a international advertising agency in Mumbai, 2006-07

4. Have directed short viral promo videos for adventure based travel companies

Extra Curricular Activities
1. Vice President of college Hiking Club
2. Represented the Northern Zone in National Level Sport Climbing competitions 2004-2006
3. Avid trekker, climber, short distance swimmer and runner, having successfully climbed 2 Himalayan Peaks- 20,000+ feet
4. I run a group on a social media platform that enables users to connect with apartments and apartment seekers. It is a growing group with over 11,000 users and I plan to launch a website soon.

Career Goals- I have two areas of interest. 1.Work in an international media company/advertising agency in a planning/ strategy role. Or
2. Work as a brand manager, marketing in a media company

My target schools-

1. INSEAD
2. NYU STERN
3. HEC
4. ESADE
5. Indian School of Business

I would like to know how my profile fits in for a top B school and if it lacks in any way. I work in a creative industry in a predominantly creative role and plan to switch over to a business role after B school. I wish to know if there are any other top B schools with (preferably) a 12-16 month program that would fit my profile.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:50 pm
Hello ishaashta,

Thank you for your post!

I would suggest looking into UCLA / Anderson considering your interest in media / entertainment. If you decide to pursue brand management, consider Northwestern / Kellogg. They have options besides a full-time two-year MBA. Given that you have an undergraduate in mathematics, I'm hoping that you have a solid GPA (around 3.5/4.0) that would assure the adcom you could handle the rigorous quantitative coursework in business school. In terms of the GMAT, you will want to target a 700+ in order to be competitive. You certainly have an unusual industry background relative to typical MBA applicants; however, this does not change the fact that you will need to account for your leadership experience and quantified impact. So, you will want to review your accomplishments and ensure you can translate your impact into terms a non-industry reader could understand. In regards to your extracurricular activities, you have a fair number of interests, but emphasizing your social nature and leadership in your community would help you be even more competitive in the applicant pool. Provided you perform well on the GMAT and have a solid undergrad GPA, I'm confident you can then work with your career history to present interesting applications.

If you'd like to discuss your candidacy and options further, please contact us directly at www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/.
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.