CR1000 Test14 question14

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

CR1000 Test14 question14

by zozo123 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:43 am
A study of marital relationships in which one partner’s sleeping and waking cycles differ from those of the other partner reveals that such couples share fewer activities with each other and have more violent arguments than do couples in a relationship in which both partners follow the same sleeping and waking patterns. Thus, mismatched sleeping and waking cycles can seriously jeopardize a marriage.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(A) Married couples in which both spouses follow the same sleeping and waking patterns also occasionally have arguments than can jeopardize the couple’s marriage.
(B) The sleeping and waking cycles of individuals tend to vary from season to season.
(C) The individuals who have sleeping and waking cycles that differ significantly from those of their spouses tend to argue little with colleagues at work.
(D) People in unhappy marriages have been found to express hostility by adopting a different sleeping and waking cycle from that of their spouses.
(E) According to a recent study, most people’s sleeping and waking cycles can be controlled and modified easily.

The answer is D, but I do not understand why, I need help, thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jrbrown2 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:17 am
I say D

Study sees A & B and goes on to conclude that A causes B. But what if B caused A? That could weaken the argument.

The argument states that a study notices a link b/w couples having different sleeping/waking cycles and violent arguments. The argument goes on to conclude that the differing sleeping and waking cycles cause the violent arguments.

This is directly assuming that the violent arguments don't cause the differing sleeping/waking cycles.

To weaken the argument expose the assumption and provide an alternate cause.