CR prep question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

CR prep question

by jamesk486 » Sat May 19, 2007 6:45 am
Background information: This year, each film submitted to the Barbizon Film Festival was submitted in one of ten categories. For each category, there was a panel that decided which submitted films to accept.

Fact 1: Within each category, the rate of acceptance for domestic films was the same as that for foreign films.

Fact 2: The overall rate of acceptance of domestic films was significantly higher than that of foreign films.

In light of the background information, which of the following, if true, can account for fact 1 and fact 2 both being true of the submissions to this year’s Barbizon Film Festival?

A. In each category, the selection panel was composed of filmmakers, and some selection panels included no foreign filmmakers.

B. Significantly more domestic films than foreign films were submitted to the festival.

C. In each of the past three years, the overall acceptance rate was higher for foreign than for domestic films, an outcome that had upset some domestic filmmakers.

D. The number of films to be selected in each category was predetermined, but in no category was it required that the acceptance rate of foreign films should equal that of domestic films.

E. Most foreign films, unlike most domestic films, were submitted in categories with high prestige, but with correspondingly low rates of acceptance.

I have the OA, but I don't understand the answer really!

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by Cybermusings » Mon May 21, 2007 10:53 am
I would root for B...if the number of domestic films submitted to the festival were to increase...that would explain greater number of awards won by domestic filsm

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by Cybermusings » Wed May 23, 2007 2:22 am
OA Please?

Followed by:1 members

by f2001290 » Wed May 23, 2007 2:49 am
I will go with E.

Assume catoegory X has acceptance rate of 1 out of 5

Assume catoegory Y has acceptance rate of 3 out of 5

Since foreign films were submitted only to X, it's acceptance rate is 1/5

Sinnce domestic films were submitted to both the catoegories, it's acceptance rate is 4/10 1.e. 2/5
Last edited by f2001290 on Wed May 23, 2007 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by ldoolitt » Wed May 23, 2007 3:45 pm
f2001290 wrote:I will go with E.

Assume catoegory X has acceptance rate of 1 out of 5

Assume catoegory Y has acceptance rate of 3 out of 5

Since foreign films were submitted only to X, it's acceptance rate is 1/5

Sinnce Foreign films were submitted to both the catoegories, it's acceptance rate is 4/10 1.e. 2/5
Great explanation. Thats a wrap!

B) would not by itself be a good explanation, as it doesn't specify what categories each film type was submitted to. Without that you can't assume what is directly stated in E) so E) is better.

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:06 am
I have used PoE to use E.

Issue here though rate of acceptance is same in each category for foreign as well as domestic films, why the overall rate of acceptance much higher for domestic one.

A: Talks about panel constituents, nonsense
B: Issue at hand is rate of acceptance and total number of acceptance, so knowing lot of domestic movie submitted helps no further.
C: Another nonsensical time consuming option,
D: Whether foreign acceptance rate is equal doesn't helps, it could be lower or more no info in fact.

E : IS right on target, it says foreign movies were submitted in low acceptance categories. SO overall rate of their acceptance is poor. Fine enough. I will take it.
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Katy_ » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:10 am
jamesk486 wrote:Background information: This year, each film submitted to the Barbizon Film Festival was submitted in one of ten categories. For each category, there was a panel that decided which submitted films to accept.

Fact 1: Within each category, the rate of acceptance for domestic films was the same as that for foreign films.

Fact 2: The overall rate of acceptance of domestic films was significantly higher than that of foreign films.

In light of the background information, which of the following, if true, can account for fact 1 and fact 2 both being true of the submissions to this year�s Barbizon Film Festival?

A. In each category, the selection panel was composed of filmmakers, and some selection panels included no foreign filmmakers.

B. Significantly more domestic films than foreign films were submitted to the festival.

C. In each of the past three years, the overall acceptance rate was higher for foreign than for domestic films, an outcome that had upset some domestic filmmakers.

D. The number of films to be selected in each category was predetermined, but in no category was it required that the acceptance rate of foreign films should equal that of domestic films.

E. Most foreign films, unlike most domestic films, were submitted in categories with high prestige, but with correspondingly low rates of acceptance.

Can I beat this question without understanding what is "rate of acceptance" in film festival? :(

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Md Raihan Uddin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:08 pm
Hi, GMAT GuruNY

I need your help in this question.

I am confused between B and E. I understand why B is wrong but B can used to prove both the facts. But I think in exam time I may go for B thinking that this option will help me prove both the facts. So, what my approach should be in this type of question to eliminate tricky option such as B.

Please explain why I will choose E. I need your help to build the thought process for this type of questions.
Last edited by Md Raihan Uddin on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:49 am
jamesk486 wrote:Background information: This year, each film submitted to the Barbizon Film Festival was submitted in one of ten categories. For each category, there was a panel that decided which submitted films to accept.

In light of the background information, which of the following, if true, can account for fact 1 and fact 2 both being true of the submissions to this year�s Barbizon Film Festival?

Why not D?

Here is my reasoning:

There are two categories, X and Y.

X has predetermined number of films at 100 and Y at 10 and acceptance rate of 80% and 10% for domestic and international respectively. In such case, Number of domestic entries will be greater than international, while maintianing acceptance rate of each category.

Please help me understand what am I missing, if wrong.
Regards,

Pranay

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:50 am

Summary:
Within each CATEGORY, the acceptance rates were the same for foreign and domestic films.
OVERALL, the acceptance rates were higher for domestic films.
How is this so?

Answer choices A, C and D are irrelevant since they have nothing to do with the actual composition of the submissions. ELIMINATE A, C and D

So this explain things?
No.
For ease of argument, let's say there are just THREE categories.
Consider this case:
Category 1:
2 domestic films submitted and 2 were accepted
1 foreign film submitted and 1 was accepted

Category 2:

Category 3:

This satisfies answer choice B, but the OVERALL rate of acceptance is still the same for foreign and domestic films. So, ELIMINATE B

By the process of elimination, the correct answer must be E.

However, if we want to be certain, let's check E

consider this case (which satisfies answer choice E)

Category 1:
2 foreign films submitted and 1 was accepted
2 domestic films submitted and 1 was accepted

Category 2:
2 foreign films submitted and 1 was accepted
2 domestic films submitted and 1 was accepted

Category 3 (high prestige category):
20 foreign films submitted and 5 were accepted
4 domestic films submitted and 1 was accepted

OVERALL, 7/24 of foreign films were accepted, and 3/8 of domestic films were accepted
Perfect!
Answer: E

We have a complete set of 38 free Critical Reasoning video lessons at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... -reasoning

Cheers,
Brent
Last edited by Brent@GMATPrepNow on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by Md Raihan Uddin » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:38 am
Dear Brent, I understand your logic for both B and E. Would you please make correction in both the explanation? There are some mistakes.

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:38 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
Answer choices A, C and D are irrelevant since they have nothing to do with the actual composition of the submissions. ELIMINATE A, C and D
Can you please review my post above and elaborate?
Regards,

Pranay

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:43 am
bubbliiiiiiii wrote:

Why not D?

Here is my reasoning:

There are two categories, X and Y.

X has predetermined number of films at 100 and Y at 10 and acceptance rate of 80% and 10% for domestic and international respectively. In such case, Number of domestic entries will be greater than international, while maintianing acceptance rate of each category.

Please help me understand what am I missing, if wrong.
Whether or it was required that the acceptance rate of foreign films be equal that of domestic films is irrelevant. The fact of the matter (as we are told) is that, within each category, the rate of acceptance for domestic films was the same as that for foreign films. This is what actually happened. So, whether or not something was predetermined has no effect on what actually occurred.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:50 am
Md Raihan Uddin wrote:Dear Brent, I understand your logic for both B and E. Would you please make correction in both the explanation? There are some mistakes.
Oops, I changed the 7/22 to 7/24
Are there other errors?

Cheers,
Brent

by Md Raihan Uddin » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:54 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
Md Raihan Uddin wrote:Dear Brent, I understand your logic for both B and E. Would you please make correction in both the explanation? There are some mistakes.
Oops, I changed the 7/22 to 7/24
Are there other errors?

Cheers,
Brent
Yes, In B also. 2 foreign --- wrong. I think you tried to write 2 domestics.