CR 1000 Test 8 Question 17

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

CR 1000 Test 8 Question 17

by zozo123 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:10 am
Same problem, I don't understand my errors in the following questions :

Many institutions of higher education suffer declining enrollments during periods of economic slowdown. At two-year community colleges, however, enrollment figures boom during these periods when many people have less money and there is more competition for jobs.

Each of the following, if true, helps to explain the enrollment increases in two-year community colleges described above EXCEPT:

(A) During periods of economic slowdown, two-year community colleges are more likely than four-year colleges to prepare their students for the jobs that are still available.

(B) During periods of economic prosperity, graduates of two-year community colleges often continue their studies at four-year colleges.

(C) Tuition at most two-year community colleges is a fraction of that at four-year colleges.

(D) Two-year community colleges devote more resources than do other colleges to attracting those students especially affected by economic slowdowns.

(E) Students at two-year community colleges, but not those at most four-year colleges, can control the cost of their studies by choosing the number of courses they take each term.

I answered A and after I re-answered D

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

by isisalaska » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:55 am
Ok, here we go:

so we need to find an answer that would not explain at all why community colleges have more students during economic slowdown

(A) During periods of economic slowdown, two-year community colleges are more likely than four-year colleges to prepare their students for the jobs that are still available. This is a possible explanation, so we don't need this answer

(B) During periods of economic prosperity, graduates of two-year community colleges often continue their studies at four-year colleges. This is the right answer, if they continue their studies at a 4-year college, why Community colleges have more students? it should not be the case...

(C) Tuition at most two-year community colleges is a fraction of that at four-year colleges. Definetly a reason why Community Colleges have more students, so nope

(D) Two-year community colleges devote more resources than do other colleges to attracting those students especially affected by economic slowdowns. Again, strenthgs the argument and we don't need this

(E) Students at two-year community colleges, but not those at most four-year colleges, can control the cost of their studies by choosing the number of courses they take each term. So is students can control their cost, they will for sure go to Community college, not the right answer then
Isis Alaska