Cornell / Queens Exec MBA - Work Experience

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Cornell / Queens Exec MBA - Work Experience

by Aqsaa » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:35 am
Hello - I am looking for some guidance on Cornell/Queens Exec MBA Work experience requirement. I have +10 years of professional work experience working various Finance roles for a well-known organization and CPA. However, I do not have any experience where I had direct deports working under my supervision. How could I strengthen my application to be a candidate for 2015 admissions?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:59 am
While having direct reports would help, I do not believe this is an application requirement. Also, your decade worth of experience is in line with their average of 12 years. To strengthen your application, try to obtain direct or indirect reports if possible.

Best of luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Dina@Fortuna » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:38 am
Hello Aqsaa,
With 12 years of work experience, you're at a great point in your career for an Executive MBA program. Since many EMBA applicants have managerial experience, you want to show that you have directed other employees in some way even if you've never had formal direct reports. Have you led projects where you were responsible for the final result? This could be a great way to showcase how you have overseen the work of others. A great place to highlight this would be in your resume and using language like "Oversaw, Managed, Directed, etc" can showcase some of these skills and responsibilities. Depending on the essay question, this can sometimes also be a way for you to incorporate examples in which you managed others or managed specific projects.

I worked in admissions in the EMBA program at NYU Stern so I'm very familiar with what admissions is looking for. I'd be happy to speak to you more about this so feel free to reach out by signing up for a free 30-minute consultation:

https://fortunaadmissions.com/free-consultation/

Good luck!
Dina Glasofer | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:47 pm
It's a common misconception that "executive MBAs" are looking for "executives" or those with solid lines reporting through them. To be honest, not all leadership comes in that structured format. And some of the best leadership out there is ad hoc! So if you can showcase managerial fortitude and leadership beyond just driving a result, you're in a good place to apply to those EMBA programs!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by Johnson at Cornell » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:28 am
Hi Aqsaa,

CriticalSquareMBA, Dina and MBA Pep all make great points and from your history and experience, it seems like you could be a fit for the Cornell-Queen's Executive MBA program. I work in Johnson admissions and would like to speak with you further and answer any other questions you might have about the admissions process and requirements. Let's connect. My email is: [email protected].

Looking forward to hearing from you, Aqsaa.

Sarah Upperman
Admissions Manager
Cornell Executive MBA Programs

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:20 am
To add to Sarah's point, I personally visited Cornell in June and was extremely impressed with the Cornell Executive MBA Program's multi-point interactive videoconferencing used to connect all the different campuses.
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.