Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

Converting UK scores to SAT/GPA scores

This topic has 3 member replies
jsl Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
Posted:
203 messages
GMAT Score:
Converting UK scores to SAT/GPA scores Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:24 am
Hiya,

I have, what should be a relatively quick question.... As a British Citizen, obtained A-levels at secondary school (equiv last 2 years of high school, age 16-18) and I obtained a 2:1 (age 18-21) at university.

Which should I convert to a GPA and how can I convert it?

A-level grades (age 16-18): BCCC
University grade (age 18-21): 2:1 (Upper second class)

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
lion147 Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
Posted:
66 messages
GMAT Score:
Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:13 am
jsl wrote:
Hiya,

I have, what should be a relatively quick question.... As a British Citizen, obtained A-levels at secondary school (equiv last 2 years of high school, age 16-18) and I obtained a 2:1 (age 18-21) at university.

Which should I convert to a GPA and how can I convert it?

A-level grades (age 16-18): BCCC
University grade (age 18-21): 2:1 (Upper second class)
I'm in the same position; I don't think the A-levels matter, I'm using wes.org and they only want my Uni transcript.

P.S. A-levels are more like the first year of a university in the US where a 4 year degree is normal.

jsl Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
Posted:
203 messages
GMAT Score:
Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:52 am
lion147 wrote:
I'm in the same position; I don't think the A-levels matter, I'm using wes.org and they only want my Uni transcript.

P.S. A-levels are more like the first year of a university in the US where a 4 year degree is normal.
Hiya fellow UK graduate! So basically a GPA equates to Uni scores. Do wes.org translate your individual Uni transcript scores to a GPA equivalent score? It's interesting that it doesn't take your A-levels (but great for me as I did badly at A-level). Do you have to speak to the Uni directly to get a full breakdown of your courses and scores for each course?

lion147 Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
Posted:
66 messages
GMAT Score:
Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:48 am
jsl wrote:
lion147 wrote:

Hiya fellow UK graduate! So basically a GPA equates to Uni scores. Do wes.org translate your individual Uni transcript scores to a GPA equivalent score? It's interesting that it doesn't take your A-levels (but great for me as I did badly at A-level). Do you have to speak to the Uni directly to get a full breakdown of your courses and scores for each course?
I'm almost a Yank though after being here for 4 years!

I don't know WES' process 100% yet, I'm currently having my transcript sent to them; from what I can gather WES only translates the degree, so they don't care about anything that didn't directly contribute to it (i.e. your A-levels).

As the GPA is based on classes, I think WES will also look at the different courses, so they will want to see a breakdown of some sort.

A word of warning though, the top schools don't seem to care whether you have your degree translated. Last year, before I started the GMAT, I emailed a top 5 school to check (I don't really want to spend more than I have to!), they responded by saying that foreign students just needed to send in their transcripts.

Best Conversation Starters

1 j_shreyans 80 topics
2 aditya8062 41 topics
3 anksm22 35 topics
4 kamalakarthi 29 topics
5 RiyaR 27 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

175 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow