Completing Masters in Finance- Aspiring to do a PhD

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

I am a new member on the forum. I want to apply for PhD programmes in Finance in Fall 2015. I want to get started well in time and hence need a profile evaluation to see where I am in pursuit of my goals and what can I do to make it better before application.

I have a Bachelors in Engineering from Indian school. GPA 8.05/10. I worked for two years in a consultancy firm after that from 2010-2012.
Currently, I am in the final year of Masters programme at ESCP Europe in Paris. I am doing the Finance specialization. I have a current GPA of 15.5/20, although I have good grades in finance courses. I have done no research work as yet but I am planning to collaborate with a few professors in the coming semester. I also have my thesis left to do, which I am hoping to do in an interest area which could get help me better for a future PhD.I have done one internship in BNP Paribas, mostly middle office work. I took GMAT in Jan 2012 and got a 720 (Q 49 V 40). So by the time I apply I think it would be close to 3 year old. Is it too old? Is it enough when I am targeting the very best schools? i have also cleared the level 1 of the CFA.

I am also not sure whether to stay in Europe or move to the US for the PhD. Since I am a non-EU national, would it be better for me to move to the States in hope of better career opportunities?

Please advise me and provide any feedback regarding the suitability of my profile, its strengths and weaknesses and ways to improve myself.
Thank you very much for your help and all the best to you who are going through the same process!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:04 am
Try ISB Analytical Finance.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:24 pm
Hi rooneyucr

Have you thought about why you want to do a PhD? Your qualifications(specially CFA) and internships you have done more so point in the direction of a corporate world. As you rightly mentioned you do not have enough research experience at the moment. So my first advice to you would be to gain some solid research experience and start networking with professors in schools which you might like no matter whatever the country. Talk to professors in your school and take their opinion too.

Once you have figured out really well so as to why PhD is your goal and what is the area you would want to research on (as in a research topic)the schools and country would not be an issue as such.

Thanks and Regards

Manya Abroad Team