Magoosh

Completely lost motivation :-( 520 on the GMAT

This topic has 2 expert replies and 12 member replies
Mba aspirant Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
2 messages

Completely lost motivation :-( 520 on the GMAT

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:49 pm
Hello everyone, I am following this website since I started my preparation for the gmat in June. I just took it and scored 520 (Q 25 , V 59) (usually score around 580 on Kaplan tests). I would like to score around 680 and I feel it's just too high...though I should be able to do it.

My problem is the maths. I practiced like crazy, took the Kaplan online course but was not in a great mindset when I sat for the test last monday.

I need to take it again in October. So it leaves me almost 2 months, do you think its feasable?

I am practicing with OG 2010 + Gmat prep and extra practice questions that I purchased online at the MYMBA.com store. My plan is to target basic maths concepts and go over all types of questions asked in the gmat on each of those concepts, to make sure I can have an average score in maths and I aim for a 70/80 in verbal.

Any tips or motivational ideas are welcome!! Smile Im just drained right now...

Thank you guys!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
pemdas Legendary Member Default Avatar
Posted:
1085 messages
Followed by:
21 members
Upvotes:
Top Reply
Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:48 am
You ring nice bell here, as lost motivation is a sign of culminating self-preservation incurred in every animate cell, not even speaking of human being composed of millions of cells.

When the motivation is lost you don't need to think of recuperating the lost initiative. The first thing that needs to be thought about should be your established objective or how clearly you defined the objective for yourself.

Many people do things in life just for following the trend or challenging themselves rather attributing their interests and needs for the certain actions. GMAT is not a goal; it's an instrument. The final destination will be an MBA and the aligned career of business executive. Think about your in-office life and desire to climb up the career of an executive corporate ladder firstly before prepping for GMAT and applying for the BS. If you believe this is the right decision at this stage of your life, and then go ahead, and if not - stop wasting your time and energy on the work which calls for your lost motivation.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: khushbumerchant, ankita_s
Posted:
2 messages
Top Reply
Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:58 pm
Thanks guys for your comments. I have given it a try and my scores in mock tests weren't good enough. I've decided to postpone my applications by a year. Although it makes me feel like sh***, I think it's the right decision...

As to my verbal score, I don't know, it comes naturally in a weird way... Im not a native english speaker but it seems a lot easier to me than maths!!!

Thanks for your support and your words anyway!! I will beat the gmat someday soon!!!! Fingers crossed.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
pemdas Legendary Member Default Avatar
Posted:
1085 messages
Followed by:
21 members
Upvotes:
Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:48 am
You ring nice bell here, as lost motivation is a sign of culminating self-preservation incurred in every animate cell, not even speaking of human being composed of millions of cells.

When the motivation is lost you don't need to think of recuperating the lost initiative. The first thing that needs to be thought about should be your established objective or how clearly you defined the objective for yourself.

Many people do things in life just for following the trend or challenging themselves rather attributing their interests and needs for the certain actions. GMAT is not a goal; it's an instrument. The final destination will be an MBA and the aligned career of business executive. Think about your in-office life and desire to climb up the career of an executive corporate ladder firstly before prepping for GMAT and applying for the BS. If you believe this is the right decision at this stage of your life, and then go ahead, and if not - stop wasting your time and energy on the work which calls for your lost motivation.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: khushbumerchant, ankita_s
Posted:
2 messages
Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:58 pm
Thanks guys for your comments. I have given it a try and my scores in mock tests weren't good enough. I've decided to postpone my applications by a year. Although it makes me feel like sh***, I think it's the right decision...

As to my verbal score, I don't know, it comes naturally in a weird way... Im not a native english speaker but it seems a lot easier to me than maths!!!

Thanks for your support and your words anyway!! I will beat the gmat someday soon!!!! Fingers crossed.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
akeelaw Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
4 messages
Upvotes:
Test Date:
May 2016
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:13 am
Try Target Test Prep (online). My math went from a 19 to a 35 with it. It costs 99USD per month. Go through it chapter by chapter and take the tests at the end of each chapter and keep an error log of where you are failing.

You will utterly destroy the GMAT next time because your verbal score is absolutely excellent.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
s.mondal8 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posted:
1 messages
Post Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:29 pm
Mba aspirant wrote:
Hello everyone, I am following this website since I started my preparation for the gmat in June. I just took it and scored 520 (Q 25 , V 59) (usually score around 580 on Kaplan tests). I would like to score around 680 and I feel it's just too high...though I should be able to do it.

My problem is the maths. I practiced like crazy, took the Kaplan online course but was not in a great mindset when I sat for the test last monday.

I need to take it again in October. So it leaves me almost 2 months, do you think its feasable?

I am practicing with OG 2010 + Gmat prep and extra practice questions that I purchased online at the MYMBA.com store. My plan is to target basic maths concepts and go over all types of questions asked in the gmat on each of those concepts, to make sure I can have an average score in maths and I aim for a 70/80 in verbal.

Any tips or motivational ideas are welcome!! Smile Im just drained right now...

Thank you guys!
Dude ... 59 in Verbal and you are asking for our help to score above 680 ?? You are a champ believe it or not .. I at least should take regular coaching from you ... Smile

Just practice the Manhattan 5 set material for quant. Keep a note of the mistakes.Redo the exercises.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
gtg279v Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
33 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
Test Date:
11/24/2012
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:44 pm
I scored a 520 the first time around. I spent another month attacking my weaknesses and scored a 700 the second time.

Anything is possible.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: Pcrouyer
campbellronald7 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
80 messages
Upvotes:
Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:40 pm
Whenever I need inspiration to study or just get through the day I listen to some true life stories. I recently came across this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmSXeHwiqbU. Awesome what these guys have been able to accomplish!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: tisrar02
josh_nsit Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posted:
9 messages
Upvotes:
Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:59 pm
Nothing is impossible. Spirit in fighters get drained only with last breath.

Order "M Tyra" first to build basics today itself. Complete it atleast 3 times in next 3 months. But, unless until you finish that book 3 times, don't look back. Don't sit in despair. Don't think about anything. Don't even waste a second, if you are thinking of GMAT.

For Verbal, practice practice practice --> 100 times. If you have exhausted OG, move to 1000 series for practice.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: khushbumerchant
sanabaw Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
3 messages
Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:18 pm
I strongly recommend switching from Kaplan to Manhattan for your quants.

I began my review using the Kaplan books - and throughout, I felt that their quantitative review lacked substance. There are some good points, but there really isn't anything you can learn in Kaplan apart from "the kaplan strategy".

The Manhattan books, on the other hand, have much richer content and really tackle the quantitative concepts. They get into the knitty-gritty and give you concrete ways of approaching particular quants topic. Since you've done a quants review, you'll actually appreciate Manhattan more (and be able to better absorb the topics).

To a brain hungry for a solid quants review, Kaplan is a turkey sandwich with a single slice of turkey ham. Manhattan is great. The richness and meatiness of its review is like a double quarter pounder with cheese. Your brain (and score) will be satisfied. [/quote]

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:04 pm
payal822 wrote:
Can you give the name of a good resource for learning quant and/or reading foundations? I think I need to add this to my study schedule and still try to keep up with the timeline.
Our company (GMAT Prep Now) has videos that cover every aspect of the GMAT - from the foundational basics all the way to advanced concepts.

We also offer a free Reading Comprehension module at http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-reading-comprehension

Cheers,
Brent

Check out the online reviews of our course
Come see all of our free resources

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
payal822 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
1 messages
Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:37 pm
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
It sounds like you need to learn come core math concepts, so be sure to look for a resource that doesn't assume that you already possess a lot of math skills. Look for one that covers all of the foundations before covering GMAT-specific strategies.

Cheers,
Brent
Can you give the name of a good resource for learning quant and/or reading foundations? I think I need to add this to my study schedule and still try to keep up with the timeline.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
adt29 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
25 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:10 am
May I ask how you have scored 59 as a raw score in verbal? I am sure you can increase your maths with MGMAT books!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
arunmb2002 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posted:
9 messages
Followed by:
8 members
Upvotes:
Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:27 am
Dudee ... dont worryy 2 months is enough to bring it to 700(680 dont look cool man .. let us keep it 700) ... i would suggest you refer Manhattan 5 book series for quant.. they are good enough to learn quant specific to GMAT ...Also these books have many tricks to handle tougher questions in faster pace .. and i would recommend concentrate mainly on Quant don bother about verbal in your first month of prepration... and once you are clear with basics go with OG..

GMAT IS DESIGNED TO EXPLOIT YOUR WEAKNESS. IT WILL DESTROY YOU AND DEMOTIVATE YOU, AND THAT'S HOW IT KILLS YOU. ONLY WAY TO WIN IS ELIMINATE YOUR WEAKNESS AND FIGHT BACK.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 120 topics
2 ardz24 65 topics
3 LUANDATO 63 topics
4 swerve 61 topics
5 AAPL 59 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

186 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

171 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

147 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

133 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

128 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts