RBBmba@2014 Legendary Member Default Avatar
Posted:
889 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:

Community activist: If Morganville wants to keep its central

Post Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:33 am
Community activist: If Morganville wants to keep its central shopping district healthy, it should prevent the opening of a huge SaveAll discount department store on the outskirts of Morganville. Records from other small towns show that whenever SaveAll has opened a store outside the central shopping district of a small town, within five years the town has experienced the bankruptcies of more than a quarter of the stores in the shopping district.

The answer to which of the following would be most useful for evaluating the community activist’s reasoning?

A. Have community activists in other towns successfully campaigned against the opening of a SaveAll store on the outskirts of their towns?
B. Do a large percentage of the residents of Morganville currently do almost all of their shopping at stores in Morganville?
C. In towns with healthy central shopping districts, what proportion of the stores in those districts suffer bankruptcy during a typical five-year period?
D. What proportion of the employees at the SaveAll store on the outskirts of Morganville will be drawn form Morganville?
E. Do newly opened SaveAll stores ever lose money during their first five years of operation?

OA: C

P.S: @Verbal Experts(Dave/Mitch/ceilidh/others) - Could you please share your detail analysis on this CR ?
Also please shed some light how one should approach an EVALUATE Qs on GMAT and why EXACTLY option B is wrong here ?

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Posted:
889 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:
Top Reply
Post Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:52 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Rephrase each answer choice as an EXTREME case.

Answer choice:
What percentage of students study math?
Rephrase:
A VERY HIGH percentage of students study math.
Or:
A VERY SMALL percentage of students study math.

If the rephrased answer choice strengthens or weakens the conclusion, then the answer choice is correct.
We do not need to consider how the opposite rephrase will affect the conclusion.
So, you meant here that for EVALUATE CR on GMAT, we need to consider ONLY ANY ONE of the above TWO rephrased statements (in RED) in order to EVALUATE the ARGUMENT/CONCLUSION. Right ?

GMATGuruNY wrote:
None of these options strengthens or weakens the assumption that SaveAll stores caused bankruptcies in the other small towns.
I think, an ASSUMPTION is a PREMISE/FACT and (as you mentioned earlier in the forum) a PREMISE/FACT can't be strengthened or weakened,so ASSUMPTION also can't be strengthened or weakened. Right ?

If yes then, I guess, we should consider that whether the Options strengthen or weaken the CONCLUSION rather than the ASSUMPTION. Correct me please if wrong!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Top Reply
Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:02 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Answer choice:
Rephrase:
Or:

If the rephrased answer choice strengthens or weakens the conclusion, then the answer choice is correct.
We do not need to consider how the opposite rephrase will affect the conclusion.
So, you meant here that for EVALUATE CR on GMAT, we need to consider ONLY ANY ONE of the above TWO rephrased statements (in RED) in order to EVALUATE the ARGUMENT/CONCLUSION. Right ?
Correct.

GMATGuruNY wrote:
None of these options strengthens or weakens the assumption that SaveAll stores caused bankruptcies in the other small towns.
Quote:
I think, an ASSUMPTION is a PREMISE/FACT and (as you mentioned earlier in the forum) a PREMISE/FACT can't be strengthened or weakened,so ASSUMPTION also can't be strengthened or weakened. Right ?

If yes then, I guess, we should consider that whether the Options strengthen or weaken the CONCLUSION rather than the ASSUMPTION. Correct me please if wrong!
An assumption is a statement that does not appear in the passage but that must be true for the conclusion to be valid.
Here, the passage does not state that SaveAll caused the bankruptcies in the other small towns.
But if SaveAll did NOT cause these bankruptcies, then the argument cannot conclude that Morganville should prevent SaveAll from opening.
Thus, for the argument to conclude that Morganville should prevent SaveAll from opening, it must be true that SaveAll caused the bankruptcies in the other small towns.

However, it is not a FACT that SaveAll caused these bankruptcies.
It is UNKNOWN whether SaveAll caused these bankruptcies.
The argument simply ASSUMES that SaveAll caused these bankruptcies.

Since an assumption is not a fact, it can be strengthened or weakened.
If an answer choice weakens an assumption, it also weakens the conclusion.
If an answer choice strengthens an assumption, it also strengthens the conclusion.
My post above shows how the OA can strengthen the assumption that SaveAll caused the bankruptcies in the other small towns, thereby also strengthening the conclusion that Morganville should prevent SaveAll from opening.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: RBBmba@2014
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Posted:
889 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:
Post Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:52 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Answer choice:
Rephrase:
Or:

GMATGuruNY wrote:

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:02 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Answer choice:
Rephrase:
Or:

Correct.

GMATGuruNY wrote:
Quote:

An assumption is a statement that does not appear in the passage but that must be true for the conclusion to be valid.
Here, the passage does not state that SaveAll caused the bankruptcies in the other small towns.
But if SaveAll did NOT cause these bankruptcies, then the argument cannot conclude that Morganville should prevent SaveAll from opening.
Thus, for the argument to conclude that Morganville should prevent SaveAll from opening, it must be true that SaveAll caused the bankruptcies in the other small towns.

However, it is not a FACT that SaveAll caused these bankruptcies.
It is UNKNOWN whether SaveAll caused these bankruptcies.
The argument simply ASSUMES that SaveAll caused these bankruptcies.

Since an assumption is not a fact, it can be strengthened or weakened.
If an answer choice weakens an assumption, it also weakens the conclusion.
If an answer choice strengthens an assumption, it also strengthens the conclusion.
My post above shows how the OA can strengthen the assumption that SaveAll caused the bankruptcies in the other small towns, thereby also strengthening the conclusion that Morganville should prevent SaveAll from opening.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Posted:
889 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:
Post Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:57 pm
Hi Mitch,
Thanks for clarifying.

Actually I got confused here because ,I guess (though, I might be wrong to interpret!), in some of your earlier posts it was mentioned that an ASSUMPTION is a PREMISE/FACT and a PREMISE/FACT can't be strengthened or weakened,therefore an ASSUMPTION also can't be strengthened or weakened.

So,from now on I take your above post as the STANDARD RULE to follow!

Please comment, ONLY if you think otherwise.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Post Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:39 pm
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
Hi Mitch,
When the CONCLUSION would be STRENGTHENED, that is already clarified by you. I just would like to know the following:

As for the OA, if we consider that "In towns with healthy central shopping districts, a very LARGE (or slightly LARGE) proportion of the stores in those districts suffer bankruptcy during a typical five-year period", then the conclusion is WEAKENED.

Am I correct ?
Yes.
If a very high proportion of stores typically declare bankruptcy, then the conclusion that Save-All has a negative effect is weakened, since only around 25% of stores near Save-Alls have declared bankruptcy.

Quote:
And couple of quick questions related to this --

1. What EXACTLY you meant by "Rephrase the answer choices as STRONG STATEMENTS" ? Did you mean ASSERTIVE STATEMENT by saying STRONG STATEMENTS ?

Answer choice:
Rephrase:
Or:

Answer choice:
How often do people shop at department stores?
Rephrase:
People shop at department stores VERY OFTEN.
Or:
People ALMOST NEVER shop at department stores.

Quote:
2. For EVALUATE CR on GMAT, do we need to consider BOTH the STRENGTHENING and WEAKENING aspects of the answer choices ?

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Posted:
889 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:
Post Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:52 am
Hi Mitch,
When the CONCLUSION would be STRENGTHENED, that is already clarified by you. I just would like to know the following:

As for the OA, if we consider that "In towns with healthy central shopping districts, a very LARGE (or slightly LARGE) proportion of the stores in those districts suffer bankruptcy during a typical five-year period", then the conclusion is WEAKENED.

Am I correct ?

And couple of quick questions related to this --

1. What EXACTLY you meant by "Rephrase the answer choices as STRONG STATEMENTS" ? Did you mean ASSERTIVE STATEMENT by saying STRONG STATEMENTS ?

2. For EVALUATE CR on GMAT, do we need to consider BOTH the STRENGTHENING and WEAKENING aspects of the answer choices ?

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Post Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:30 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
Community activist: If Morganville wants to keep its central shopping district healthy, it should prevent the opening of a huge SaveAll discount department store on the outskirts of Morganville. Records from other small towns show that whenever SaveAll has opened a store outside the central shopping district of a small town, within five years the town has experienced the bankruptcies of more than a quarter of the stores in the shopping district.

The answer to which of the following would be most useful for evaluating the community activist’s reasoning?

A. Have community activists in other towns successfully campaigned against the opening of a SaveAll store on the outskirts of their towns?
B. Do a large percentage of the residents of Morganville currently do almost all of their shopping at stores in Morganville?
C. In towns with healthy central shopping districts, what proportion of the stores in those districts suffer bankruptcy during a typical five-year period?
D. What proportion of the employees at the SaveAll store on the outskirts of Morganville will be drawn from Morganville?
E. Do newly opened SaveAll stores ever lose money during their first five years of operation?

At its core, this is a CAUSAL CR.

Premise:
Whenever SaveAll has opened a store outside the central shopping district of a small town, within five years the town has experienced the bankruptcies of more than a quarter of the stores in the shopping district.
Conclusion:
Morganville should prevent the opening of a huge SaveAll discount department store.

The assumption is that SaveAll stores CAUSED bankruptcies in these other small towns.
Rephrase the answer choices as STRONG STATEMENTS.
The correct rephrase will either STRENGTHEN or WEAKEN the assumption that SaveAll stores CAUSED bankruptcies in these other small towns.

C, rephrased as a strong statement:
In towns with healthy central shopping districts, a very small proportion of the stores in those districts suffer bankruptcy during a typical five-year period.
Here, store bankruptcies are very uncommon, STRENGTHENING the assumption that the bankruptcies in the other small towns were caused by SaveAll.

The correct answer is C.

Other options, rephrased as strong statements:
Community activists in other towns have successfully campaigned against the opening of a SaveAll store on the outskirts of their town.
A large percentage of the residents of Morganville currently do almost all of their shopping at stores in Morganville.
A high proportion of the employees at the SaveAll store on the outskirts of Morganville will be drawn from Morganville.
Newly opened SaveAll stores frequently lose money during their first five years of operation

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: RBBmba@2014, Anaira Mitch

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 120 topics
2 LUANDATO 62 topics
3 swerve 62 topics
4 ardz24 61 topics
5 AAPL 57 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

174 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

173 posts
3 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

131 posts
4 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

130 posts
5 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

130 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts